PDA

View Full Version : Preflight Inspection

pablo
4th Sep 2004, 02:54
Hi!!!

I've been searching through the forum and some tech webs and didn't find nothing.

I would like what things to look for in a preflight walkaround and cockpit inspection. I already know each a/c has a more or less different procedure and I have to follow the steps of the POH, but it doesn't get to each item in depth, neither states that old nasty tricks to find problems :} , or all that most common in each airplane.

All replies wellcome!!!!!
Thanks!!!

Pablo ;)

Old Smokey
4th Sep 2004, 23:57
Hi Pablo,

I can't give you any specific information, because, as you've said so correctly, each aircraft is uniquely different.

What I've done for each new type conversion after going through the 'official' pilot oriented training process, is to befriend an engineer to take me for a walk-around for a more in-depth appreciation of the really important things to look for.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of doing the pilot training of an ex Line Maintenance Engineer for the same aircraft type, and, in a temporary role reversal of the Instructor / Student relationship, had him give me a thorough 'hands-on' external check as would be conducted by the Line Maintenance guys during a turn-round. It was a good education in the sometimes very subtle signs of an impending problem, and the elimination of a few items that may look bad to the untrained eye, but were in fact insignificant. These guys (sorry, and a few girls too) are a gold mine of good practical information - how to spot possible overstress, where and how a hydraulic leak will show itself, where is it normal to see oil / hydraulic drips etc....the list goes on.

It's nice to see that some pilots are still very keen to know as much about their aircraft as possible.

bookworm
5th Sep 2004, 08:57
Many years ago one of the Flying magazine columnists (probably Peter Garrison) did an excellent, provocative article on external pre-flight checks which was aimed, of course at light aircraft.

He analysed a large number of fatal accidents and identified those where the cause might have been prevented by a better external pre-flight check. IIRC, and these are my words not his, the conclusion was that if all you're interested in in preventing fatal accidents, there are two broad categories of pre-flight check required:

a) ensure that the fuel is not contaminated, that there is sufficient fuel for the flight, and that there is sufficient oil for the flight; and

b) check that the aircraft has nothing attached to the outside that shouldn't be there (e.g. concrete tie-downs, pitot covers)

Beyond that, it's icing on the cake.

Of course the problem, which he pointed out in the article, with such studies of accident causes is that it's impossible to tell the difference between low risk issues, and high risk issues where preventative measures are effective. IOW perhaps we're just doing a really good job of other aspects of external pre-flight checks and there are therefore no accidents. Somehow I doubt that.

I also don't doubt for a moment that transport category aircraft have rather more critical items.