PDA

View Full Version : ILS failure at Cork Airport today?

eoinok
3rd Sep 2004, 22:39
Hi all, just read 2day in a local paper here in Cork that a local hurling team got stranded in Cork due to an Ryanair flight not being able to land due to an ILS failure??

I know that ILS was out on runway 17 for a few months but only last week a new system was installed and calibrated.

So, if the ILS failed for runway 17, could it also have knocked out the system for 35?
17&35 is the same runway but in opposite directions.

I know that a/c were still able to land in ORK using ILS on 35 but if there was bad weather and a tail wind into 35, i dont think they would be able to land there??

Spitoon
4th Sep 2004, 07:37
Don't know anything about the circumstances at Cork but an ILS for a runway is wholly independent from an ILS on any other runway (including the reciprocal).

It's rare that an airport doesn't have an alternative approach that can be used if the ILS is unserviceable although the alternative will usually have higher minima and so may not be of value if the weather is poor.

Landing with a tailwind is undesirable and needs a longer runway.

No_Speed_Restriction
4th Sep 2004, 07:43
Runway 35 also has a VOR/DME procedure but I do believe Cork was subject to fog yesterday so not much use for a high MDA.

eoinok
4th Sep 2004, 08:04
Hi lads.

No_speed_restrictions, I take your point about Fog. But the offical reason given (as reported in the local press here) was for an ILS failure, not that the airport was fog bound?

I live about 4 miles from the airport as the crow flies (admitedly at a lower altitude) but it certainly wasn't condusive to fog yesterday morning.

Cork alrite can have a nasty habit on getting fog bound on a fine sunny day, due to it's altitude, but yesterday morning didn't seem to be like one of those days?

sammypilot
4th Sep 2004, 08:24
The aftercast shown on the Weather Underground web site shows that Cork had Fog and Rain on the 3rd September.

dudduddud
4th Sep 2004, 08:47
the media dont know squat.

this one guy called an ILS a 'glidescope'

No_Speed_Restriction
4th Sep 2004, 17:23
I know that ILS17 was on test for a while.