mikedurward
2nd Sep 2004, 15:00
Hi All,

Would anyone know what the transition height was for GLA in the early 70's

Thanks

:E

Oshkosh George
2nd Sep 2004, 15:05
If I recall correctly,Transition Height is dependent on barometric pressure,and varies DAILY!

It's a bit like asking which socks the controller had on in the 1970's!!!!!!!!!!

mikedurward
2nd Sep 2004, 15:10
I was under the impression that it is 6000ft now. But might have been only 4000 in the 70's

Oshkosh George
2nd Sep 2004, 15:16
Transition Height anywhere is nominally 3000ft ,but varied,as I said by pressure. Could be 2500ft or 3500ft,but rarely any further from 3000ft.

For those still baffled,Transition height is the point at which aircraft change from height in feet to Flight Levels ie 3000ft to FL30.

Hope this helps.

mikedurward
2nd Sep 2004, 15:22
I was under the impression that transition height was the height pilots changed from the qnh height to 1013

Oshkosh George
2nd Sep 2004, 15:34
Mike,you are not wrong!

QNH(variable) is the pressure set to give an altimeter height above Sea Level.

Flight Levels are ALWAYS flown with an altimeter setting of 1013.2 mb.

As you pass the transition height,you change from QNH to 1013.2 and from that point you are flying 'Flight Levels'.

You may even transition from QFE(height above the GROUND) to 1013.2 or Flight Levels.

PPRuNe Radar
2nd Sep 2004, 15:35
'Height' is always a vertical distance above an airfield, the pressure datum is the QFE.

What you might be referring to is the Transition Altitude which is measured above sea level using the QNH pressure datum.

It is currently 3000' in the UK, except for specific areas such as around London, Central Scotland and Belfast, where it is 6000'. In Manchester and Birmingham, it is something else yet again.

No idea about the Glasgow setting in the 70's, it has been at least 6000' since 1981 though, if not before ;)

Oshkosh George
2nd Sep 2004, 15:42
Sorry,wasn't aware Central Scotland had special conditions,I stand corrected,been out of ATC some time now!

mikedurward
2nd Sep 2004, 15:45
Hi Guys ,

Thanks for this info. The reason I am asking is that my father was a pilot with BEA. He was killed in 1973 flying a viscount into a mountain in perthshire. Just north of Loch Lommond. i was wondering how someone with 8000 hours flying in scotland could miss a mountain of such height. Ben More is 3852ft in height. :confused: :\

Oshkosh George
2nd Sep 2004, 15:51
Mike,sorry to hear of the reasons for your question. That could well be why Central Scotland is an exception to the 'normal' 3000ft Transition Altitude.

mikedurward
2nd Sep 2004, 15:54
No problems matey. i just have a bee in my bonnet at the moment. I have a full copy of the crash report, but some people say that in the 70's reports like these are more of a whitewash an a proper investigation. :mad:

Oshkosh George
2nd Sep 2004, 16:01
Ben More could have been totally invisible in IMC,then you only have instruments , altimeter settings and controllers to trust.

What was the finding?

mikedurward
2nd Sep 2004, 16:04
Pilot error. But a few of my fathers ex workmates have said that the second officer had a habbit of changing to 1013 regardless of what was happening. He was ex RAF and some say taught to do that os it was a habbit. :ugh: Dont suppose I will ever find out the truth. I can send you a copy f the report if you wish. It is a 1.5 Mb word doc. :ok:

Oshkosh George
2nd Sep 2004, 16:13
Yes Mike,that would be interesting,thanks.

mikedurward
2nd Sep 2004, 16:23
If you give me your email address i will sort it out now.

Oshkosh George
2nd Sep 2004, 16:52
Mike,you can do it via PPrune,just click on my 'profile' then 'send e-mail'

PPRuNe Radar
2nd Sep 2004, 23:54
Mike, I would be happy to review it too. Before my time, but I have climbed Ben More and know people that have talked about it.

mikedurward
3rd Sep 2004, 09:07
Hiya I will need your email cause i cant send it through here for some reason. its a 1.5mb word doc:ok:

PPRuNe Radar
3rd Sep 2004, 10:35
[email protected] for me. Cheers !!

LatviaCalling
6th Sep 2004, 19:37
Well, there you have it. Remember the Delhi crash a few years ago when the Ukrainian (I believe) and was it Air India collided in the air. The Ukrainians were reading meters while the other aircraft was reading feet.

I believe on all international flights ICAO demands readings in feet and not in meters. This Delhi incident is not the only time feet and meters have been screwed up causing serious accidents.

When will the former Soviets learn to use SOP procedures and why do they always chat in Russian with ATC when there clearly are other international aircraft around whose pilots have no idea what the Ruskies are blabbing about, especially during critical approaches and take-offs.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Sep 2004, 08:59
<<When will the former Soviets learn to use SOP procedures and why do they always chat in Russian with ATC when there clearly are other international aircraft around whose pilots have no idea what the Ruskies are blabbing about, especially during critical approaches and take-offs.>>

I think you'll find that the French are good at this too!