PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 172 for PPL?

thecoops
2nd Sep 2004, 12:47
I have another topic regarding flying schools in Cornwall.

However I was also hoping to find out whether the CESSNA 172 is a good aircraft to learn on?

The club I am currently interested in use the C 172.

Cheers.

Tinstaafl
2nd Sep 2004, 21:19
Yes, it is. So is a C150/152. A Warrior will also do the job, as will many others. I happen to prefer Cessna C150/152/172 for training compared to Piper or Beechs equivalents.

It really won't matter what you learn in. You'll get to the required standard anyway.

FlyFreeWbe
2nd Sep 2004, 22:10
Cessna's are great aircraft, the one minus I'll give it is the lack of all over good visibility due to its high wing configuration. Then again, many low wing aircraft have their own characteristics. Cons aside, the C172 is a very robust, forgiving, stable (stall the thing its just goes back to S&L), and frugal if you don't mind me saying so.

True, what you learn in doesn't make you any less or more of a pilot. In the end, its personal preference, what you like and whether your happy getting to know your choice intimately for the next 45-60 hours flight time.

FFW

spudskier
3rd Sep 2004, 02:32
I have a few hundred hours in Cessnas, great, stable, reliable VERY forgiving aircraft. Ya, the high wing isn't great for visability, but EXCELLENT trainer!