PDA

View Full Version : Do yourself a favour !

FlightOops
2nd Sep 2004, 11:00
As an aspiring pilot with an Australian CPL(H), desperately trying to meet the stricter JAA requirements (ATPL theory + more hours !!), I can sympathise with all CPL wannabe's with the difficulty in finding that elusive first job.

My solution to the problem was to take the job of Operations Manager for a busy training and charter organisation with two bases in the South of England.

What I have learned, regarding Commercial Operations, within the last two years could never be gained from text books and although not directly relevant to my flying experience, has enabled me to gain a better grasp on what the CAA are looking for with respect to CPL students sitting their tests.

It seems time after time I end up explaining the same things to nervous candidates in the moments before the examiner is due to arrive.

Invariably these explanations cover simple issues relating to flying as a CPL(H).

Time for the rant ...

Guys - do yourselves a favour. Get your head into the correct state by thinking like a CPL - don't leave it until the morning of your test - you've got enough on your plate without compounding the stress by trying to learn stuff at the last minute !!

If you think that there are any areas where you may be deficient, spend some time with the OPS guys - they'll be more than happy to take you through MET, NOTAMS, Aircraft documentation, Legal Books, flight planning, etc - IT'S THEIR JOB !! (And it is an excellent excuse to avoid their real work !)

So come on candidates - you've already done the hard work, studying for mind-blowing theory exams, learning to fly like a CPL - the test should be the easy part - demonstrating to an examiner that you CAN do it !!

Do yourself a favour !!!