PDA

View Full Version : Any NY based Cathay Pilots out there?

jdaisy
31st Aug 2004, 21:06
Hi -

I have an interview this month for the Freighter side and I was wondering what kind of schedule I can expect being based in the USA. - How many days off - how long are the trips? How difficult is commuting?

I am also wondering how many - if any - female pilots there are at Cathay?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Saturn
1st Sep 2004, 15:25
Not any females on CX freighter right now. I personally would like to see some. Tired of looking at all those ugly Canadians dudes I am forced to fly with (just kidding). I actually like the Canadaians.

Trips are roughly a week long. Example; I leave tonight: JFK-ANC. 24 hours in ANC, then go to Hong Kong. 2 days there then back to ANC, 24 hours, then back to JFK.

A lot of folks commute but you will probably need to buy tickets in advance through benefits on our interline agreements. Some do jumpseat but don't rely on that. YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO GET TO WORK!!!

After my trip I usually have a week to ten days off sometimes two weeks. Great schedule and honestly New York probably has the best although those I have talked to in ORD and LAX said they like their schedules as well. Good Luck on your interview.

:ok:

jdaisy
2nd Sep 2004, 01:57
Thank you so much for your reply - The schedule is what I thought it would be but - I'm also curious about the pilot - management - (union?) - relationship - in the states with Cathay -from what I've read things are better?

Thanks Again!

dhoonk
2nd Sep 2004, 16:41
jdaisy,

Yes, things are 'fine' now between management and the union. But, of course, there are many definitions of 'fine'. I wouldn't let any negatives you might hear hold you back from accepting employment with CX.

Things to note:

1) Union membership is optional.

2) Most blokes on the North American freighter fleet are not unionized.

Fokkerwokker
2nd Sep 2004, 17:24
>>After my trip I usually have a week to ten days off sometimes two weeks<<

So who are you sleeping with in Rostering to get this facility mate? Do tell!

cpdude
2nd Sep 2004, 19:14
It's a typical NA freighter F/O (not relief qaulified) schedule. Too bad your British mate!:D

Flying Bagel
3rd Sep 2004, 15:29
Spoke with an ORD based guy recently, and he has the same lovely type of schedule. Only had to fly one pattern last month.

Logically one must assume that the light schedules are due to the training of new F/O's for the eventual expansion. But what a bloody nice life to have too.

singlecut
8th Sep 2004, 05:23
What are the payrates like for F/Os based in the USA?