PDA

View Full Version : Realities of getting CPL job.

Caledonian Gaz
31st Aug 2004, 09:32
Hello all!!

I'm 8 hours into the process of gaining my PPL and intend to eventually get myCPL and make a career out of flying here in Oz. I'm wondering what the realities are and what to expect after completion of the licence. Back home in the UK the forums paint a bit of a bleak picture for the new commercial pilot and I'm wondering if its the same case here.
Eventually when I'm looking for work where are the best opertunities?? I've been told Darwin is pretty good??

Regards Gaz

JSM
31st Aug 2004, 10:16
Caledonian Gaz:

Its as BLEAK as you want it to be, do the yards, get the RIGHT ticks in the right boxes, ie get an instructor rating ONLY if you wish to persue instructing as a career.

Basically in my opinion utilise your training to set you up for the job, for example if you wish to persue the charter environment then generally up north is the go. So, while you are training, do some of it in a cessna 210 as this is more than likely what you will fly up there, thus when you arrive up north you have what the employer wants. They don't just want a basic CPL, they want (would prefer) a Basic CPL with some experience in what they operate.

It is pretty common for employers to recieve CV's without this experience, and sometimes they have no choice but to employ the person, and give them extra training on type on the job

DO IT RIGHT FROM THE START, BE PREPARED AND STAND OUT FROM THE REST

fhchiang
31st Aug 2004, 12:31
what do you mean by do it right from the start JSM?

I'm about to do integrated ATPL in OZ melbourne next year,

and perhaps will get my license LATE 2006 or early 2007.

i'm just wondering where should i start.................

JSM
31st Aug 2004, 12:50
there is a famous saying when doin NAV AID work

WHERE AM I, WHERE DO I WANNA GO AND HOW DO I GET THERE

Ask yourself this, then speak to people who arn't trying to sell you something for advice, if you aiming for an Airline, chances are, unless you do a cadetship, you are going to have to build you hours somewhere. The best place for this is probably as a charter pilot somewhere. This as with all Aviation is Bloddy competitive, so you need to stand out above the rest ie If operators use 210's, rock up with some 210 time. This can be dome in conjunction with your training, ie instead of doing all your CPL training in an say an Arrow, do 15 - 20 hours in a 210. This will keep you cost's down as many a pilot has been turned down the job because of insuffient time on required types, and have had to go and do it after they had completed their training, which has incurred additional costs.

Hope that helps
JSM

Anyone else??

Caledonian Gaz
31st Aug 2004, 22:30
Thanks for the response JML.

Like I said before I'm right at the start of the journey and doing my training in a C172. I would presume It would be a good idea to get my PPL in one aeroplane and once I start on the CPL then to move on to a variety of types if possible??

Thanks again

Gaz

radar o'reilly
1st Sep 2004, 00:02
what sensational advice. :ok: :ok: :ok:

JSM, I wish I had heard from you before I started my training.

Heed his advice well Gaz. The squillion hours in a TOBAGO that my school provided me with aren't woth diddley DICK.

Since finishing my training (and the well running dry) I have learnt the info you have been given for free.

Keep a copy of your post for every newbie thread JSM. Excellent stuff. :cool:

R.O'R.

Chilli
1st Sep 2004, 07:54
1 1/2 years ago i was looking for work and ended up north, there was at least 8 of us that became mates while trying to find work. All of us are now working. The moral to my story is if you are keen and stick at it you will find a job or a job will find you.

druglord
1st Sep 2004, 12:07
yeah and don't give up on the search. Most of the aspiring pilots that came to town ended up with a job eventually even the ones that you wouldn't think should have one. Most of us are with an airline now and look back at those years as the best experience of our life. Listen to JSMs advice on the a/c type time. Even 10 hours was beneficial to me.

RabidNuts
1st Sep 2004, 13:13
...I taught him everything he knows!!!

Snigger

rN

JSM
1st Sep 2004, 13:26
Good on ya!!!!!