PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Asia offers

Listening Watch
31st Aug 2004, 01:16
I finished the Qantas selection process in June and yesterday on arriving at Horn Island to start my line training with Surveillance Australia I received a call from Qantas recruitment.

I had been told in previous correspondence that my QF application may progress to the final review panel after September 04. I was advised that my applications remains under active consideration however due to highly competitive candidates I may not see employment with QF for 12 months.

I was then asked if I would like to work with JETSTAR Asia as a F/O with 2 years min return of service to the new airline. I am not aware of the conditions at this stage but it appears that the pay will be around S$75k with an obvious pro-rata bond for the A320 endorsement.

It’s daunting having to move away from Australia, especially since I have just started new employment.

I have to decide relatively quickly whether to consider the offer. There seems to be valuable F/O experience available here and a move back to QF mainline after 2 years if they are still recruiting.

You thoughts and opinions on the idea would be greatly appreciated. I want the job with QF but whether to wait (stay with surveillance) and take the risk of maybe not getting employed or spend 2 years with Jetstar Asia and maybe move across in 2 years.

I was told other people where being offered the same deal.

LW
:confused:

Edit: No seniority as i first thought.

chimbu warrior
31st Aug 2004, 01:28
Well that's a toughie............hmmmmm, should I fly an Islander around Torres Strait or a jet around Asia.

Even at the end of 2 years if you don't like the look of things in QF, you will be better placed to seek other opportunities than the bloke who takes the Islander job (or FR406 or DHC8 for that matter).

I'm also reasonably sure that the S75k (even with a bond) is going to beat the Surveillance income.

Just do it...............

newbe200
31st Aug 2004, 06:38
take it for sure mate, i would. whats two years in asia going to do to you, even if you hate it.

first time i have heard of this happening anyway...

AIRWAY
31st Aug 2004, 10:26
Like others have stated, take it :ok: not many opportunities like that around, and with a rating in an Airbus plus jet time you would be left in a good position should you not continue after the 2 years.

Do a search in PPRuNe and you shall find a few topics regarding J* Asia.

All the best.
:ok:

Gnadenburg
1st Sep 2004, 02:23
You will live like a GA pilot in Singapore on that pathetic wage.

Sadly, many desperate pilots will take the job, thinking it will lead to bigger and better things.

In the the long run, not only are you undercutting incumbent jet pilots, but also yourselves.

If you work for that money now, do you think good pay and conditions will still be here in the future, with the traditional well paid airline operators?

Qantas pilots are having their conditions halved by Jetstar. What will you be coming home to in a few years?

In 1995 I was paid as much as an F/O on a jet in Australia, as a Virgin Blue or Jetstar training captain today! I have had to maintain my wage by moving overseas.

Overseas I can get away from desperate Australian pilots. Never understood the desperation, everybody I knew made it to airlines, enjoyed good conditions and wages, but impatient pilots today will pay for endorsements and work for half the money of the past.:uhoh:

Capt Snooze
1st Sep 2004, 07:05
Gnadenburg,

Just a small question.

'everybody I knew made it to airlines'

Since this is not everyone's experience, and from a statistical point of view quite difficult to achieve, what do you attribute this to?

Snooze :hmm:

Capt Fathom
2nd Sep 2004, 06:35
This may help (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=143315)....from another thread.