PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus wet lease

leadinghedges
30th Aug 2004, 22:07
Just heard a juicy rumour about two 777's painted up in Aer Lingus colours ready to be wet leased so flights that contravene Aer Lingus working conditions can still be operated. Is this the latest management tactic, if your pilots won't do the flights just hire someone who will?.

Idunno
30th Aug 2004, 23:11
Perhaps, but its potentially an expensive way to run an airline.

If it was that simple then everyone would be doing it.

And there's always the strike option to nip it in the bud.

Foreign Worker
31st Aug 2004, 05:46
Is PARC Aviation associated with Aer Lingus?

akerosid
31st Aug 2004, 05:55
PARC Aviation is (or was) associated with Aer Lingus.

The painting of 777s in Aer Lingus c/s is possible, although not necessarily for the reasons stated. Aer Lingus is expected to announce the awarding of a very sizeable contract for the replacement of its t/a fleet within the next 6-8 weeks. The A330-300s are coming to the end of their lease period and while EI is concentrating on the A330-200 and 7E7, they will need larger capacity for trunk routes. A small fleet of 777s might be just the thing and if provided as an extremely low lease right, could be an ideal sweetener.

Idunno
31st Aug 2004, 09:56
PARC was set up as the aircrew leasing wing of Aer Lingus back in the late 70's or early 80's.

It was sold off in the early/mid 90's during a recovery program.
The buyers were the management.

The company (PARC) was also heavily involved in medical staff supply, especially to the ME, but that has now wound down to zero.

They have recently added a TRTO to their operation, so they now have the facility to recruit, train (type rate/MCC) and lease pilots.

The company was to be floated a few years ago but that was put on ice during the stock market collapse. It may be reactivated as things improve.

I think it has a reasonably good overall standing within the crew leasing world.

EIDW Spotter
31st Aug 2004, 15:04
Where are these 2 aircraft currently? I have not heard of Aerlingus wetleasing aircraft on long term basis since the MD-11 from World Airways. Any info on this equipment, curent reg etc etc??

Bearcat
31st Aug 2004, 15:51
another sad rumour I hear is the Iolar, their 1936 Bi plane is on the mat......if this is true it will be a disgrace

CAT MAN
31st Aug 2004, 18:54
Why do people give so much attention to those w*nkers who dream up all sorts of sh1te about aircraft painted in certain colours?

Step up to the plate, and show us some pics otherwise your thread is a waste of everyones time...despite this being the rumours section.

:*
If its true about the Iolar, that's sad, I hope it goes to a deserving home.

cliste
31st Aug 2004, 19:00
Just a thought perhaps Michael will save the day and buy the Iolar ! and Paint it in Ryan Air livery lol

corsair
31st Aug 2004, 21:10
Apparently there was a rumour among some Aer Lingus staff that Willie was going to change the name to Irish Airlines and paint the fleet blue. Management were quick to deny that. Lots of daft rumours going around. Meanwhile there is trouble brewing around the catering on a particular EI flight and a meeting of steward on Wednesday which could disrupt flights.

leadinghedges
1st Sep 2004, 00:01
Yo Cat Man take a chill pill. I heard a rumour and posted it thereby stimulating discussion and gathering information that will ultimately confirm or deny the information received. Granted it could be crap but if we don't talk about it we'll never know. I look forward to your future posts, pictures and all.

Idunno
1st Sep 2004, 01:55
Fact is, those kind of rumours circulate around the Irish aviation community every day.
Most folk are sick of hearing them. Especially since they always turn out to be bull****.

If Aer Lingus had taken delivery of even half the a/c rumoured to be painted and ready to go they'd be the biggest airline in europe by now.

Boringggggggg

Iolar
1st Sep 2004, 11:58
On a related note, I heard that some of EIs 737s are heading east, KallingradAvia in the autumn on lease. I thought they were going to sell the 737-400/500s.

CAT MAN
1st Sep 2004, 17:27
Leadinghedges: This one is for you.

I recently heard that Boeing is so intent on selling the 7E7 to Aer Lingus that they have offered to take all the A330s and give them 777s in the interim until they commence delivery of the 7E7.

No picture necessary.

It is good to know that someone looks forward to my posts!!!:ok:

leadinghedges
1st Sep 2004, 22:13
In fairness, that's a good one.:ok:

akerosid
2nd Sep 2004, 17:20
Actually, that falls pretty close to my speculation (see above), although I admit it's unsupported speculation. THAT SAID, however, let's look at the reality here. The A330-200 is the most successful Airbus widebody by some distance now and the one Boeing needs to beat. It has already stolen an almost certain A332 order (Air New Zealand) and if it can find other airlines - particularly those already operating 332s, all the better for sending the message out that the 332 is old hat (which it may well be by the time the 7E7 enters service anyway).

Furthermore, Boeing knows EI has ambitious expansion plans and needs a very efficient long hauler. I have it on good authority from the orders yahoogroup that the 7E7-8, in a nine abreast layout, would "murder" the 332 from a seat mile costs vantage point. If Boeing can be a partner in and supporter of this growth, then all the better for them; it's not looking at EI today, it's looking at what it may well be 5-6 years down the road, with 14 widebodies. The 332 is a fine aircraft and would probably stay until the 7E7-8s arrive, but the 333 could give way to 777s and those 777s could then remain until the 7E7-9 arrives in 2012. PLUS - and let me say this very quietly - if Boeing is chosen, the US may find itself more "flexible" in allowing EI more US access, even prior to a full Open Skies deal ...

Incidentally, there are currently 7 UAL 777s parked and given UAL's financial position, it may well be happy to see a few of them placed into service.

As I say, all of this is pure speculation, but not beyond the realms of possibility. Lesson 1: if you're going to spread a good rumour, make it credible. :ok: ;)