PDA

View Full Version : upgrades to Biz class

radar o'reilly
30th Aug 2004, 02:54
Hello all.

I have heard in the past of people getting upgrades when flying with the majors.

Is this a urban myth or does it actually happen. If it does, who do you have to ask to get upgraded....? :confused:

All (constructive/sensible) replies appreciated. :ok:

Radar.

Capt Fathom
30th Aug 2004, 03:06
Basically, you get what you pay for. If a flight is oversold in economy class, they will move 'frequent flyer members' up the front to make more in the back.
They will not upgrade you without a reason, they are not allowed to under IATA regulations.

Howard Hughes
30th Aug 2004, 04:54
You can ask to be upgraded, I mean "if you dont ask, you dont get!!"

However you will most probably be rejected on the basis of the class of your ticket. ie: you purchased the cheapest internet fare available.

However if you are friendly with the customer service staff at your intended departure point this should never be a problem.;)

Cheers, HH.
:ok:

Ps:You gotta love business class, cant wait to try out the new menus!!

Desert Duck
30th Aug 2004, 11:29
In the past upgrades were common - unfortunatley in recent years they are rarer than rocking horse droppings

*Lancer*
30th Aug 2004, 23:35
Ask nicely when you check in... Make sure you fit the dress code (ie, look like a business traveller), and if there are seats avail you might have a chance!

Good luck :D

HAMO
31st Aug 2004, 10:22
Captain Fathom

What IATA regs prohibit airlines from upgrading passengers????

Capt Fathom
31st Aug 2004, 23:42
Read carefully what I wrote HAMO.

OzExpat
1st Sep 2004, 13:02
I was in upper deck Business Class on a very cheap economy ticket today (errm, last night... whenever) between SIN-BNE and can thoroughly recommend the sky bed! :ok: I'm a Frequent Flyer but probably didn't quite meet any definition of "dress code", if such a test is ever actually applied. However, I don't think it was for either of those reasons, although I am always nice to the check-in staff! ;)

I suspect that, on this occasion, they didn't have enough Business class pax and didn't want to waste the space. It seemed like a very full flight too, so there might've been some overbooking in cattle class. :confused:

Foyl
6th Sep 2004, 11:54
I've had a couple, mostly through "someone who knew someone". Always ask. The worst they can say is no.

Back in the days when you still could, there was one time I didn't ask for a jump seat because I was upgraded. I thought, at the time, I had less chance of getting upgrades than jump seats. It was a couple of months pre Sept 11, and with Ansett. Who knew? :{