PDA

View Full Version : Honeywell wx radar on A320

jaja
29th Aug 2004, 19:47
On our new A320/321 we have the HONEYWELL RTA-4B WX/WINDSHEAR RADAR with AUTOTILT.

The information in the FCOM is very limited, and our company don`t have a pilot guide on the system.

Can someone please explane what AUTOTILT is ?

There is no GRD CLUTTER REMOVAL SW. on this new syst. as were on our old A320`s. Is that because this function is automatic ?

Some new radars use MULTISCAN. Does the RTA-4B have this feature ?

Thanks !

idg
30th Aug 2004, 23:06
Jaja,

Don't have any technical info to hand but heard a presentation on this and other 'improvements' at a symposium recently.

Auto tilt is exactly what it says...an automatic tilt function for the radar beam. The system interfaces with EGPWS terrain data to always set the tilt so that ground returns will be just available depending on what range you have set on the ND. In this way as one reduces range on the ND approaching a storm cell, for example, the tilt will automatically be lowered. In this way ground clutter suppression is not required since it can not be seen.

This has been introduced because incidents in the past have shown that users are not scanning down as they get closer to see a true picture of what is ahead of them.

Personally I like having control of the tilt myself and tho I haven't had a chance to use one of these new sets yet, it once again seems like automation trying to do the job. Apparently both AI and Boeing are much in favour!

jaja
31st Aug 2004, 07:43
Thanks idg !

I have also heard that that the AUTOTILT function uses data from the EGPWS database to set optimun tilt.

But as the tilt-knob don`t have an "automatic" position, how can you know when the AUTOTILT function is working and setting the tilt, and not yourself ?

Jaja

Shore Guy
31st Aug 2004, 11:11
Pilots Guide available at:

http://www.flwsradar.com/Tech_Lit/Pilots_Guide/Pguide_main.htm