PDA

View Full Version : RAAF Pilot book

Larry Laser
29th Aug 2004, 07:44
Have heard there is a new book out on how to be a RAAF pilot. Anyone help with some details?:cool:

James Bigglesworth
29th Aug 2004, 08:21
Saw an ad in this months Aus Av - RAAF Pilot preparation - by Rob Avery. No mention of it on his website, but contact details are here: (http://www.aviationshop.com.au/avfacts/default.htm)

Cheers,

JB:ok:

Chief Wiggam
30th Aug 2004, 05:01
It's not that new.

Called "Beer drinking guide for Australia"

Also look for "How to get girls with bad pick-up lines and haircuts"

Good luck.

PS. Supply and demand applies to the ADF as well, and they are low on pilots. Good time to get a look in.

:ok:

Spirally Unstable
30th Aug 2004, 07:40
Larry,

I have just bought a copy of the book that I think you are enquiring about. I ordered it through Concept aviation in Bankstown. Try here http://vs6015.server-store.com/store/item.inetstore?id=861 for some info on it.
It is written in the same sort of style like those how to get into Cathay Pacific Airlines type of books. It seems to go into a lot more detail and the authors have included a link to an avfacts website with a couple of more chapters, praccy questions and the like. Hope this helps,
Cheers
S.U.

FishHead
31st Aug 2004, 02:07
Chief... not sure on your source for that, but the understanding I had was that we had 100 pilots over establishment - most of them boggies.

Of course, recruiting goes on! So dont let that slow you down Larry.

Obiwan
31st Aug 2004, 03:36
FishHead

I've heard that due to the time taken to train a RAAF pilot, its hard to guage the requirements - ie there might be an oversupply now so they scale back recruitment. In 18 months time they're short of pilots but with fewer currently in the system, hence the ongoing recruitment.

I'm sure someone will correct me about this if I'm wrong :rolleyes:

Captain Sand Dune
31st Aug 2004, 10:53
The RAAF gave up trying to adjust pilot output to match the vagaries of airlines' recruiting some years ago. They now go for a "constant output" model which means that right now the RAAF is significantly over-manned, but who knows what may happen around the corner?
At the moment Army is flush, but the Navy are after pilots.