PDA

View Full Version : Where to work in US

kiakaha
27th Aug 2004, 23:21
Looking at working in US (have a green card) I have a New Zealand CPL with MEIR & B cat Instructors & 500hrs instructing in NZ.

Who are the best companies to approach for work?
Any dodgey operators to look out for?
How do they usually pay over there salary or hrly rate?
What is average hourly rate for instructors?

Any information you have would be great!
cheers

Anita

DesiPilot
29th Aug 2004, 18:25
Hi Anita,

What kind of work are you looking for? If you are looking to work as a Commercial Pilot or a Flight Instructor you will have to convert your licenses to FAA licence before anyone can hire you.

The licence conversion is an easy process and in you case it will be training as requird. To be able to convert your licence to FAA licence I suggest that you follow these steps:

1) Get yourself a FAA Class II medical.

2) Convert your licence on the basis of your NZ licence at PPL level. You can find the licence converstion form at FAA licence conversion form (http://faa.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=76&p_created=1071242537&p_sid=SQk_t9kh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0 yMDEmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=).

3) Once you have your PPL issued, you will have to pass the Instrument written exam and Instrument rating flight test. You will have to do a minimum of 3 hours of flight instruction with an FAA CFII (assuming you meet all the other requirements).

4) Pass the Commercial written exam and 3 hours of flight training with an CFI and pass the Commercial pilot flight test.

5) Pass Fundamentals of Instruction and Flight Instructor written exams, training as required with a CFI (only an CFI with 200 hours of minimum instruction given and min 2 years of instruction can sign you off for the flight test) and pass the CFI flight test.

6) If you wish to become an Instrument Instructor (CFII)- pass the Instrument instructor written exam, training as required and then the flight test.

7) If you want MEP rating, training as required and flight test.

8) If you want MEI rating, training as required and flight test.

9) You can skip step two if you are willing to pass the written exam and flight test.

After doing all this you will be employable in the USA as a flight instructor. Average starting salary varies from $10 per hour to $20 per hour. Most of the flight schools pay you by the hour and there is no base salary. However, there are a few schools that offer base salary as well.

Now if you are looking for work as a Pilot you can skip the steps for FI ratings. The licence conversion process can cost anywhere between $3,000 to $10,000 (just an estimate) depending on your flying skills, the ratings that you want to achieve and of course the school you go to.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
:) Jatin

kiakaha
29th Aug 2004, 22:40
Thanks helps lots! At least now I know what to expect over there. I (like most pilots out there) want to get into the airlines but just need to find a "stepping stone" job to help me out. Would love to work for a small carrier, but from the jobs I looked at would need more Multi time before that could be achieved.

DesiPilot
30th Aug 2004, 14:17
The airlines have started to hire again in the USA. Since you are a green card holder you will have to undergo 10 year background check by Department of Homeland security before you can fly a plane with a MTOw 12,500 or greater.

Most companies in the USA look for either part 135 minimums for Single pilot operations or 1000 hours total time and 100 in multi. It definitely helps if you have already passed the FAA ATPL exam and that you hold a Bachelor degree.

:D Jatin

kiakaha
31st Aug 2004, 22:21
Yeah looks like I will be instructing for a while to get those hour requirements up! I should have enough total time, its the multi that always seems to be a problem - and also the most expensive to fix.
Are there any companies you would recomend to transfer my licence over with?