PDA

View Full Version : Just shoot me--Air Force 2 non-event

av8boy
27th Aug 2004, 21:26
I'm posting this, not because it represents important news, but rather, because it doesn't... I am SO very tired of fear-mongering and bad reporting.

The only nugget I'll comment upon has to do with my ATC brethren (although this doesn't mean I'm not livid about the p*ss-poor reporting throughout the story)... Guys, you're right. Our staff numbers are way too low and preparing to plummet. But I don't think this was an event we should have hung our hats on to illustrate that fact. If no deal occurred, then why make it a "things aren't as safe when the supe works" issue? Sure, you MIGHT be getting a little press on the staffing issue (and yeah, I know we're hitting that hard right now), but it also makes it seem as though it really WAS a near-death experience for the veep. I don't know that I'm making sense here, and I apologize. It's just that I feel as though these comments put us on par with the chicken-little journos.

On the other hand, I would have made more of the fact that the supe was working overtime (was that the case or did the article get that wrong?). Having supervisors work overtime instead of buying more line controllers is a poor allocation of funds (read, "stupid"), and more should be made of that.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Dave

Posted on Fri, Aug. 27, 2004

Cheney's Plane Avoids Collision

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - A military plane carrying Vice President Dick Cheney came within almost half a mile of a small private plane over Bridgeport, Conn., this month, forcing the pilot to take evasive action, the Federal Aviation Administration said Friday.

The plane, which is Air Force II when the vice president is aboard, was flying at about 7,500 feet Aug. 7 while en route to Westchester County Airport in White Plains, N.Y., when an on-board alert system alarmed, telling the pilot to climb to avoid colliding with the other plane.

The FAA said such an event ordinarily wouldn't require an investigation, but a report was written and sent to the Air Force because it involved the vice president.

FAA spokeswoman Arlene Salac said that both planes were operating under visual flight rules. That means pilots should avoid another flight if they see it, which is what the Air Force pilot did, she said.

"The Air Force II pilot was given a traffic advisory saying where the general aviation aircraft was," Salac said. "Controllers were tracking the aircraft on their radar scopes."

Dean Iacopelli, president of the New York air traffic controller's union, blamed inadequate staffing for the problem, which he said happens about once a week in New York.

Iacopelli, a controller, said a supervisor was working the radar scopes while on overtime to augment the staff. Supervisors are required to work aircraft for only eight hours a month, while controllers work 40.

"He's not as proficient on it as someone who does it everyday," Iacopelli said. "We need more air traffic controllers."

The National Air Traffic Controllers Association has been campaigning for the FAA to hire more controllers as a wave of retirements is expected to hit the agency in the next few years.

Salac said the FAA makes no connection between staffing levels at the New York air traffic control center and the event.

skydriller
28th Aug 2004, 06:04
FAA spokeswoman Arlene Salac said that both planes were operating under visual flight rules. That means pilots should avoid another flight if they see it, which is what the Air Force pilot did, she said.

Why is AF2 flying VFR? I would have thought that IFR would be more appropriate for such an 'important ' flight, just as airliners routinely file IFR....

Regards, SD..

PS -why is this moved to spotters? Isnt it more ATC oriented?

Instrument Ranting
28th Aug 2004, 15:53
What exactly is your problem with this report?

Where is the bad reporting and fear mongering (sic)?

It is fact based. It points out why this 'ordinary' incident is in the news at all (because the authority decided to investigate it).

As for the ATC aspect, to blame staff shortages is the perogative of the manager who presumably believes that is the case, and won't look a gift horse in the mouth when it comes to trying to score some cash of the Bush administration...

IR

itchy kitchin
28th Aug 2004, 18:43
Why blame ATC?
Both under VFR.
Also says a lot about AF2 pilot if he decides to conduct the flight under VFR and has to wait for a TCAS RA instead of using the best traffic avoidance instrument. ie the Mk1 Human Eyeball.

I'm not an ATC chap, just don't like to see the wrong guys blamed.

regard from the kitchin

IRRenewal
28th Aug 2004, 21:06
Iacopelli, a controller, said a supervisor was working the radar scopes while on overtime to augment the staff. Supervisors are required to work aircraft for only eight hours a month, while controllers work 40. Can I have a job where I work 8 hours/month on the 'scope' please, or even 40? A truly outstanding bit of reporting.

Ps: what is a scope?

Instrument Ranting
29th Aug 2004, 11:38
err...the point being made is that a supervisor is only required to control for 8 hours a month (I guess to keep his/her hand in) in addition to their supervisory duties. Therefore he/she may not be as proficient as a controller working 40 hours.

And if you still need the penny to drop as to the point of this paragraph: The supervisor was controlling at that time to fill in because of a lack of controllers.

IR

PS: Radar screens are commonly referred to as scopes in the US.