PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know some decent Commerical Airports that have viewing spots near runways

Captainkarl
27th Aug 2004, 13:09
Does anyone know some decent Commerical Airports that have viewing spots near runways? As I am 15 a PPL student and I aint stopping there Im going to go ATPL even if it kills me!! I would just like to know if there are any airports like luton, gatwick etc where you can watch the planes at close proximity, I once heard there was a Pub at the end of a runways flight path/threshold, so the jets came in over it and its good! Anyone know any where?

robin
27th Aug 2004, 13:25
Problem is that this could give the game away to any terrorist with a SAM missile or even an RPG.

I love to see planes land and take off, but with current threats forget it.

Buzzz
27th Aug 2004, 13:32
Green Man pub at Hatton Cross for LHR....

c-bert
27th Aug 2004, 13:53
I think anyone who has the contacts to get hold of an RPG (and get it into this country) can probably work out where to stand to see aircraft landing.........

Northern Highflyer
27th Aug 2004, 13:54
It might be a bit far for you to travel but I think there is a pub at Manchester that gives a good view of the runway.

Anybody with a SAM is unlikely to be sat next to you having a beer as they tend to have a range of more than a few metres. :\

Captainkarl
27th Aug 2004, 14:41
I think im more mature than you guys how old are you! (only joking)! I imagine the ladlord would see the rpg user and barr him lol!

Groundbased
27th Aug 2004, 15:33
Airport hotel is located at the threshold of rwy 24R at Manchester. I was there last week and it was excellent in the morning. Both arrivals and departures very close up, but in the afternoon deps moved to 24l. Obviously its going to depend on the wind direction but its a pretty good bet you'll see something worthwhile if you go there.

to get there get off the M56 at the airport junction and follow the signs for the business park. Pass the business park on your left and take the next turning on the right. The pub is just there on the left. They are well geared up for spotters in the garden at the back. You have to pay to park, but you get £2 back off a drink at the bar.

Birmingham. Walk along the dual carriageway at the approach end of rwy33 and there is a place to stand there. Good views as well.

boredaccountant
27th Aug 2004, 16:10
If you fancy going to Crete on holidays, you can sit right at the holding area of the main runway at Heraklion HER behind the fence up on the rocks. You have to walk along a rocky path to get up there, but its pretty amazing. Its on the edge of a slight cliff and the aircraft come right over your head as they touch down. Tuesday's all day have loads of British Charters as well as friday nights. Others days have lots of Condor/Transavia/MyTravel (Europe) also the greek sheduled services on Agean and Olympic.

JB007
27th Aug 2004, 23:33
Yep! thats the same excuse I gave the landlord trying to get in my local at 15!!!!!

Bournemouth is pretty good - well, for static aircraft anyway....

RobT100
28th Aug 2004, 18:58
Anyone want to get really close to the action, the place to be is Lanzarote (ACE). You can get right behind a 767 if you want as it starts it take off roll (NOT recommended), - I got blown off my feet trying it and WONT be trying it again.
Also the approach to the same runway the lights go across the beach and out into the sea. If you stand at the end of the runway here you actually feel like ducking as the planes approach, it feels like they are about to take your head off. Perhaps this could be a new extreme sport :D
All great fun.

corsair
28th Aug 2004, 19:14
If you take a day trip to Dublin there is an excellent spot on the road paralleling 28/10. Sometimes there is even a mobile snack bar parked there. I don't spot but when meeting someone off a plane I sit there with the airband until I see the the flight land and then motor in to save money on parking charges. Yes I am that cheap.

You know if someone built a cafe or pub along that road they would make a killing.

seacue
28th Aug 2004, 22:55
Not a useful answer to the original question, but SXM Sint Maarten is famous for Big Iron on final final final approach right over the beach & road..

Captainkarl
28th Aug 2004, 23:02
What about east midlands...thats nearby for a sunday drive you see, plus they have a wicked pilot shop!

nzmarty
29th Aug 2004, 06:40
Wellington NZ has great viewing at the end of rwy34. Auckland NZ has a viewing platform which is awesome for tail-end x-wind shots.

Pity they're on the other side of the world.....

Golf Charlie Charlie
29th Aug 2004, 14:26
Since the poor guy mentioned Luton, and probably finds Wellington or San Maarten a tad far away, I am surprised no-one has mentioned the lane to the south side of Luton's runway, where there is a small unofficial car park with an excellent view of activity.

Captainkarl
29th Aug 2004, 14:32
Well done golf charlie charlie!!
East Midlands is also a posibility. Thanks 4 that 1 mate!

chiglet
29th Aug 2004, 21:47
Manchester has a "dedicated" viewing park with a BA146, Concorde and DC10 nose to boot.
Unfortunately, you have to pay to get in..:{
watp,iktch

FOZ
30th Aug 2004, 20:55
Yoy can also get access at Manchester to the South edge of 06R. As you head South from the M56 on Wilmslow Road, pass under both runway tunnels and take a left up a short lane. Tuck in close to the edge, ensuring that the you do not block the road (emergency access) and walk up to the top. Excellent unobstructed views.

slingsby
30th Aug 2004, 21:11
Four areas with free parking (local street) and a short walk to the active runways at LHR

27L landing, 09R departures
Park in Bedfont Lane or Green Man Pub and both are a short walk to Hatton Cross underground station, excellent views of the approach or lift off and overflight area if 09R active

27R landing
Parking a bit more difficult here, but anywhere legal offairport is a short walk for the entire 27R/09L area

09L landing
Park in colnbrook and a short walk to flyovers over M25 give good spotting views, also good for post departure off 27R

27L departures
On Airport Way towards M25 junction is a short sliproad on the left, free parking and you can stay there for the heavy flypasts.

As a rule LHR isn't that great as most of the visitors are has beens or frequent arrivals, but there is the odd good and intersting arrival. If you're lucky you may even get a very windy day, with some very good cross wind landings.

Tom the Tenor
31st Aug 2004, 01:24
Where is the often mentioned Myrtle Avenue in relation to the above spots? Any minimal protection available from the elements like rain or even a bar nearby?

Thanks.

Captainkarl
31st Aug 2004, 01:27
Take a few cans of beer(thats the pub) and an umbrella (rain shelter) your sorted! Lol joking I dont know anyone elese?

Paracab
31st Aug 2004, 04:10
If you are particuarly keen on 737's and BAe 146's then Stansted has some interesting views from a tiny little lane down the side of a small industral estate on the north side of the airfield.

Don't know what the lane is called, or if it has a name at all but it is clearly marked on any decent map, pretty much right at the end of the RW.

The aircraft land in the right direction to be of interest (On Runway 23 therefore low enough across the threshold ) most of the time (about 70% of the time IIRC)

Having said all of that, it has been a number of years since I've been there (my Dad used to take me, honest !) and I couldn't tell you if that area is still open to general public access now.

bizflyer
31st Aug 2004, 13:07
Hello all

I'm picking up my sister from T3 tomorrow & thinking of taking my kids with me so they can see the take offs/landings for an hour or so. Can anyone advise best place to take them? They're young so I'd like to avoid long walks and we'll be parking in T3 short term, is there still a balcony at Heathrow, if so which Terminal etc?

Many Thanks!

BOAC
31st Aug 2004, 15:18
Check out also (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139340&highlight=viewing)

JamesT73J
1st Sep 2004, 09:18
1) AMS
2) MAN
3) SXM