PDA

View Full Version : Shuttleworth Thread?

Zlin526
25th Aug 2004, 15:14
At the risk of being shot down in flames (by a Vintage member of the forum with Spandau Machine Guns no doubt), may I suggest a seperate 'Shuttleworth' thread for all of those who like to look at pictures of the same aeroplanes, at the same aerodrome, but in slightly different weather conditions, every week? That way, it would free up the rest of the forum for those of us who have actually been there (3 times!, twice by air!) this year, but feel like we have been there every day for the last 5 years!

Life has no surprises anymore. I know exactly what's going to be at Old Warden even before I go there, and I can save my entrance fee and just wait for the air display pictures to appear on this forum in the peace and quiet of my own living room......All that's missing is the noise, and I can have that by playing one of those LP records of vintage aircraft sounds that they used to sell at Shuttleworth

I've nothing against the Shuttleworth Collection; its a fine collection of vintage aeroplanes, in a unique setting, all flown with verve and panache by expert pilots, but this continual plugging of displays and photographs of the same aeroplanes is driving me to go to other museums and aerodromes, if only to see other vintage aeroplanes and 'surprises'!!

When I taxy along the flightline, I can even recognise people in the crowd who I dont even know, just by the size of their camera lenses!!

Oh dear, what have I said?? Please be gentle with me. I'm only expressing an opinion and don't really want the wrath of all you digital photographer chaps directed at me! None of this would have happened had it not been for those huge Canon cameras with grey lenses..Bring back the Kodak Instamatic..:{

CamelPilot
25th Aug 2004, 19:23
I fear you may have woken a tiger or two. I will say no more and leave those who find the endearing qualities of the Trust and the pics a feast of aviation nostalgia - no matter how many times they see it ----------- to voice their own opinions.

CP

Duxford_Eagles
26th Aug 2004, 07:06
Zlin526, what a shame that you've tired of looking at photos of these lovely 'planes. He who is tired of looking at photos of the Collection must surely be tired of life itself.

In order to help you out a little, I'll endeavour to leave you a clue in the title of any thread that I put up containing photos of the Collection.

I will use the code words: "Shuttleworth Collection" and "Photos" so that you don't have to look........ unless you really want to.

Rob

(Tongue firmly in cheek)

Addendum:
How could a mere photograph possibly replace the atmosphere, sound, smell and feel of Old Warden? Only two more shows left this year - make the most of them - there are many dark months ahead until the next season.

Zlin526
26th Aug 2004, 17:37
Duxford Eagles,

Tired of life? Moi?

No, merely pointing out that there is life and other unique aeroplanes appearing at venues and displays apart from Old Warden....

As I said, I think the Shuttleworth Collection is a superb collection of unique aeroplanes; my point being that people seem to overdo it a bit on this forum. It seems like a "Who can out-do one another" photographic competiton at times, superb pictures they may be. But there's a limit to how many times I can look at yet another photograph of the collection's Tiger Moth..lovely aeroplane that it is..

To show that I'm not a complete oik, I'll be at the very place next weekend....

p.s. a 'Plane is something that you shape wood with....

(Said with tongue firmly in cheek):ok:

Man-on-the-fence
26th Aug 2004, 17:58
Zlin

We shall have to agree to differ as I cant actually get enough of the photos of Shuttlworth on this forum (yes I am biased). I can assure you that there isnt a competition between Eagles and myself, we are great friends who love taking photos.

I have posted images from every other airshow I have been to this year and so has Duxford Eagles. Its just that we go there more often because we cant get enough of the place.

The threads are clearly marked, all I can do is suggest that you dont open the threads (or can't you help yourself..." hello I'm Zlin and I am an oldwardenphotoholic":D)

If you are going to be there for the airshow, fancy meeting up for a beer, we usually try to get to the beer hut at some point during the day.

Scion
26th Aug 2004, 22:54
Please Sir, can I have some more?

Unfortunatly I do not reside in the home counties and love to see all the most excellent photos of these gentlepersons areil contrivances.

They are indeed the only source of photographs which are current and that is the raisen that I delight in them.

Is there a chance of a satalite shuttkeworth field perhaps in Australia/Sydney?

Hugs and Kisses to all!

27th Aug 2004, 01:11
As sicon says ;"please sir---". I for one cannot see enough of these aircraft. People in the northern end of the world do not know how lucky you are to be able to have the opportunity to go and see these milestones of aviation history. Here in the land of OZ we have some great flying museums, but have to travel great distances to even get near them, and that limits very much the ability,both physicaly and finance wise, to goto these places. My other option is to try and obtain DVD's of such places as Shuttleworth and Duxford, if they are available.:D

TD&H
27th Aug 2004, 09:45
Scion and 1946:

Of course you could have a satelite Shuttleworth in Sydney, all it takes is lots of money and someone to find the proverbial 'found beneath a haystack' aeroplanes!:D

Now which aeroplanes would you particlarly like to find in the haystack?

Perhaps a better idea, after all they don't fly over the winter, so who's got a An224 to spare to take the collection down to Sydney? Kidnap Airbedane, Grandad Biggles et al then you could borrow the collection for the closed season!

Regards, H

Scion
27th Aug 2004, 22:00

please check private messages

Scion
4th Sep 2004, 22:59
Bral,

Although beduddled by frink on occasion and declining the spell checker the thought is the same.

It may be possable to do something down here.

We have the second hanger errected 24/24 meters and the surrounding earthworks are being completed. The first hanger will be painted next year to blend into the area.

The Klemm is flying from there now and the s16 project and Genairco are up there. There is also a dh 82 and we now have a Beaver based there from the harbour on it's off days. Cheaper for the operator. There has not been much movement with the Comper but John will get his Fairchild back -- according to plan next Feb.

When the costs get outragous in the monopoly of Sydney airports we will get a couple of Stermans and an Auster.

Thank you again for the water of life and there is some left for you and better half.

Remember that the bagpipes were invented by the Irish as a joke on the Scots but the Scots haven't discovered it yet!