PDA

View Full Version : Qantas D/E Entry Requirements

Capt. J
25th Aug 2004, 07:32
I've been wondering for quite a while now about the Qantas D/E requirements. The entry requirements are (just incase you don't know):

500 hours in command of fixed wing aircraft (excluding ICUS), or

250 hours in command of fixed wing aircraft (of which up to 100 hours may be ICUS) and 1000 hours First Officer time on turbine RPT operations, or

150 hours in command of fixed wing aircraft (excluding ICUS) and 1500 hours First Officer time on turbine RPT operations, or

250 hours in command of fixed wing aircraft (of which up to 100 hours may be ICUS) and 500 hours in command of rotary wing aircraft.

My friend told me you only need one of those to be able to apply for D/E. I was just thinking that 500 hours isn't a lot, can anyone tell me why, Qantas' minimum requirements are so low? :confused:

Thanks in Advanced,

Capt. J

slice
25th Aug 2004, 07:45
A cynical instructor once told me they are set low so that the QF Skipper's sons/daughters who didn't get a slot as a cadet, don't have to spend too much time in GA where it is very dangerous and you can get killed! :p

Capt. J
25th Aug 2004, 07:49
They set it low for QF Skipper's sons/daughters? :eek:

I thought they just put it low on their website just like Cathay Pacific. On their website, they said 1000 hours TT but to be competitive for a position, you actually need 3000 hours TT. Anyway, Thanks for your quick reply.

ITCZ
25th Aug 2004, 12:48
Qantas is hiring SO's, not FO's.

My guess is that their thinking goes something like....

"We will teach them how to fly OUR way..

"Pick people that won't be stuck later on trying to get CASA licencing requirements for eventual promotion to captain - hence command IR and ATPL subjects.....

"Also make sure that he/she has gained a job and worked in the industry for a year or so (500hrs is a LOT of hire and fly!) so has been beaten around the head by a chief pilot/GA employer and gained a basic idea of how to earn your daily bread taking people/freight where they wanna go, when they wanna go!...

(Ever had to share a house with someone who has just moved out of mum and dads? Painful. Much better to take people that have been knocked into shape by at least one other experience!)

Add the QF personality etc testing to take care of the rest.

Most of the guys and gals I know that joined QF had heaps more than the minimums, but one or two got in with less than 1,000hrs TT.

Oh, and one more thing -- Not TOO smart!

(quote from former QF interview panelist!) :O