PDA

View Full Version : Good IR book

buzzc152
24th Aug 2004, 22:06
Hi all

I've recently started my IR training and was hoping to find a good easy to understand book to accompany the course for a bit of bed time reading.

Has anyone got any recommendations ?

Thanks

pink flamingo
25th Aug 2004, 13:39
hi buzzc152
unfortunately there are not that many books JAA IR related. Have a look at trevor thom (i believe is No 3) it should contain some interesting info. Also the Aerad "Flight information supplement" is worth to have a look at. Further information is also available on the Aerad "Europe and middle East supplement" quite useful for information related to NDB and VOR ranges.
However, usually FTOs have got their own note for the IR which relates to instrument flying and specific aircraft type management.

Said that if i were you i would try to go to bed and sleep as the training is already quite demanding and good nights sleep are worht as much as good books.

You may also find yourself reading the Bible half way through your training so if you already have not got one you may want to order it and keep it next to your bed :}

Stay cool and do not overload yourself (easy to say) :{

jollypilot
25th Aug 2004, 14:12
There is actually one very good one.

Keynotes for Pilots: the JAA IR (A) Skill Test

Its superb. A ring-bound book, available from Transair etc for about £25 - but woth every penny. Not only does it explain all of the principles, but runs through the Skills Test and what to expect. Everyone embarking on their IR should have one!

JP

Julian
26th Aug 2004, 09:48
Buzz,

An excellent book, although FAA biased, is the Jeppesen Instrument/Commercial manual.

Well laid out with plenty of examples to enable you to get your head around the concepts on the ground rather than burning your money trying to figure out what you are meant to being once you are up there!

I think Transair sell it if my memory serves me right.

Julian.