PDA

View Full Version : No GCSE's

Marshall1664
24th Aug 2004, 19:51
Hi all,

I'm currently about to start my CPL/IR and I've got a question that I would really appreciate getting some feedback on.

I was home educated and did not attend secondary school and consequently did not sit and GCSE's or 'A' Levels.

That's not to say I am uneducated, quite the opposite, I had private tutors and they estimated that my level of education would have been comparable to that of someone with a good set of 'A' Levels. I just don't have the "paperwork" to prove it.

How do you think this will affect my chances of getting a job?

All my training so far has been completed in minimum hours and I passed all the ATPL's in 5 months with an average of over 90%.

I was thinking of enrolling in some sort of extension college or night classes to study for the exams. But it almost seems like a waste to work hard at something that will only be given a cursory glance and will not be all that relevant to the job at hand.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Best wishes,
Marshall.

Alex Whittingham
24th Aug 2004, 20:15
I wouldn't bother. Your ATPL passes show, to your credit, that you have the required professional knowledge and are not handicapped by lack of GCSE certificates. If you want to do something academic I would suggest you start an MBA course. Look forwards, not back.

onthebuses
24th Aug 2004, 22:42
Marshall,

Check ya PM's

OTB:ok:

High Wing Drifter
25th Aug 2004, 07:05
Marshall,

I left school with terrible results so I have no excuses, and I didn't go to college. With virtually no qualifications a successful career (not in aviation...yet) has not been hindered. The bottom line is, I think regardless of the industry, that you may not get interviewed by some companies but that in general employers are only really interested in you and your ability to do the job. Also, there is no telling what type organisation will or will not entertain you. I have worked from the smallest to the literally the biggest. It is down to the person sifting the CVs, that is the long and short of it.

Just do what I do and put all the good stuff at the top of the CV and the bad stuff at the end. By the time they get to the not so good bits they have already made up their mind :E