PDA

View Full Version : Asthma and Becoming a Pilot

trexell
24th Aug 2004, 14:57
Can you be a pilot if you suffer from Asthma?

BigGrecian
24th Aug 2004, 14:59
You wouldn't be able to in the Military that's for certain. Quote from CAA website on Asthma:

I suffer from asthma/hayfever, will I obtain an initial issue of a JAA Class 1 certificate?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hayfever is not usually a problem providing it is well controlled on an acceptable medication. Asthma may be acceptable providing control of symptoms is good on approved medication.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps.

trexell
24th Aug 2004, 15:04
Cheers i went to the RAF Careers office and they told me that i couldnt enter the forces but i didn't know whether the commercial root was still an option.

On looking at the CAA website i found that it is possible under examination to be allowed to fly so thanks for your help

High Wing Drifter
24th Aug 2004, 16:06
Is it possible and probable that an airline may impose its own stricter health conditions?

scroggs
24th Aug 2004, 16:43
Yes, it is. I believe that asthma is a non-starter in my airline - but I would need to confirm that.

Svroggs

trexell
24th Aug 2004, 18:54
what do you mean by non-starter?

Charlie Zulu
24th Aug 2004, 20:23
It means, rightly or wrongly they wouldn't employ someone with asthma. This, in my own opinion, is not right as they are discriminating against someone who has otherwise a valid JAA Class 1 Medical.

Then again, there are many people who are looking for jobs out there than there are jobs, so the airlines can probably be picky when it comes to medical standards.

For instance, British Airways has a more stringent medical for their pilots than that of the JAA Class 1. They state this on their website:

http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/cc/pilots/deps/eligibility.jsp

Pilot16
24th Aug 2004, 23:00
Hi there,

I suffer from asthma. This was a concern for me before I booked my Class 1.

However I was able to pass the Class 1 with the asthma, it was other factors that held me back.

As someone stated above, your asthma should be controlled under medication. I also believe you should not have been hospitalised for it (tho I have to confirm on that).

You have to pass all the 'peak-flow' tests which they will do on you. This is where you blow into this device as hard as you can. If you can pass all that, I think they consider you fit for Class 1 in this regard.

Hope I helped.

Northern Highflyer
25th Aug 2004, 09:51
It depends on the triggers and the severity.

Mine is triggered by animal fur but is mild and I have never had any trouble with it (or any attacks, even when in contact with animals). I exercise regularly and if anything am fitter than many people I know.

I hold a class 1 after some very thorough checks by the CAA. It appears however that this still isn't good enough for some airlines who want superman (woman).

Am I wasting my time and money because of something I cannot help yet which doesn't cause me any problems ? Only time will tell, but I have overcome many obstacles to get to where I am now and I wont be beaten by Asthma or anything else.

Speak to the CAA on the phone. Their medical team are very helpful.

Good luck.
NH

scroggs
25th Aug 2004, 10:30
Asthma is becoming increasingly prevalent, and so treatment is getting more effective these days. However, it covers a very broad spectrum of severity from mild breathlessness to major breathing difficulty leading to blackout and even death. While the milder forms can be completely manageable with medication, you can understand why airlines and militaries are extremely careful about employing pilots with any history of the disease when it can be so debilitating.

The CAA is obviously the first port of call if you have a query on the ramifications of an asthma diagnosis. Your GP is of little or no use when it comes to an opinion about whether asthma will affect your employment prospects. It would probably be worth your while to have a look in the Medical forum; I have no doubt the subject has come up before.

Scroggs

Hawk
25th Aug 2004, 18:15
Hi trexell, have a look at this thread. http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=1076661&sortby=&sortorder=
cheers
Hawk (Med & Health Forum)

trexell
26th Aug 2004, 10:13
Thanks Everyone