PDA

View Full Version : 737 take-off question

MichaelJP59
24th Aug 2004, 14:33
Was flying from Budapest-Amsterdam the other day on one of Malev's nice new 737s.

Question is; to save time, the pilot went to t/o power while still taxying onto the runway, at a 45 degree angle. Is this perfectly normal or a bit "cavalier"?

Personally I thought it was great, and with a light jet we went up like a rocket:)

- Michael

BOAC
24th Aug 2004, 15:18
Michael - I was not there and you were, so I cannot be sure BUT I think it UNLIKELY that the pilot selected 'take-off' power at 45 deg to the runway.

More likely he/she had been asked to 'expedite' take-off and was on a high-speed 'slip' and 'stood-up' the throttles to the 40% normally used before rolling (see other threads on PPrune) and then fairly quickly up to take-off power. THIS is not dangerous and is also not that uncommon. Being at full power at 45 deg IS dangerous!

MichaelJP59
24th Aug 2004, 15:34
BOAC, thanks for the answer, yes we did start from the high speed slip and I think you're right about the 40% power, it was timed nicely so that the engines were fully spooled up just as we turned on to the centreline.

Maybe I haven't seen it so much at our busier UK airports where one quite often seems to hold for spacing when lined up.

- Michael