PDA

View Full Version : Karumba

PropDuster
23rd Aug 2004, 08:08
Thinking of heading north to the gulf for a stint

Can anyone give any advise on Karumba, job prospects, operators, machinery, what's the joint like to live in? etc.

Cheerz Prop

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
23rd Aug 2004, 08:49
www.gulflineaviation.com.au

grrowler
23rd Aug 2004, 09:45
or, unless things have dramatically changed over the years.... www.getscrewedover.com.au

I would try other places first. Having said that, it's not a bad little town, great fish n chips, and the sunsets are awesome.

5 Left & Right
24th Aug 2004, 11:13
A coldy or 3 at the Sunset Tavern :ok:
Awesome spot for a beer! :p

The Bullwinkle
24th Aug 2004, 11:34
GulfLine was where I got my start.
The company was based in Karumba, but I was actually stationed in Kowanyama with a C-210.
I only had 450 hours when Mark gave me a go.
There is probably not a lot to do in these remote locations, but you have to keep focussed on the reason why you are there.
It worked for me.
Good Luck.

404 Titan
24th Aug 2004, 14:33
5 Left & Right

How have you been? Sorry we didn’t catch up while I was in Cairns last month. Too many things to do and not enough time. Called into the office but you had just gone home. Have to agree, the Sunset Tavern after a hard days work is a cool place at sunset. A coldy and a plate of fish & chips or prawns go down soooooo well.:ok:

The Bullwinkle

I think I remember you when you were based in Kowabunga and I use to fly in there fairly regularly from Cairns. You were based in the office with Crappy if I remember. Now that would have been an experience. You would have learnt swear words that you wouldn’t have thought up in a million years. :uhoh:

catseye
25th Aug 2004, 09:43
Aaah the Karumba pub.

Used to have 2 bars, the Suave bar and the Animal bar. Had to have some clothes on to get into the suave bar.

Raptis and Markwell were the biggest operators in town.

Is it still the same pub.

The Eye.

frangatang
30th Aug 2004, 15:41
And lflew for raptis for 5 years , aah the memories prawn spotting in a commander 840,and if l remember you had to wear a shirt for the suave bar but not required in the animal bar and at one stage their was an austrian bird running the restaurant with the most inspector clouseau accent but she made the best bugs munniere l have ever had( scuse spelling). Hour building in the season was around 120/month,great place weird people,but you would be running from something to end up there.
The gulf was the only place l ever witnessed the morning glory,crossing over mornington island,and halls point there was another amazing place.
I wander what happened to bluey bedford and how about miles buckley who used to run the airfield. Course inthose days it was Bush pilot airways coming in in a DC3.Good luck in the jod hunting there.l

Philthy
31st Aug 2004, 08:54
If you want to know what it used to be like, check out the Airways Museum website www.airwaysmuseum.com (http://www.airwaysmuseum.com) , go to the 'Airports and Aerodromes' section and look under 'Flying Boat Bases'.

Cheers,

Philthy

frangatang
31st Aug 2004, 15:24
The flying boat ramp was still there in 1986!

virgindriver
6th Sep 2004, 07:59
Hmmm, If it is the same Mr Bedford, I think he is up in the Torres Strait. Darnley Island was were I saw him last- but that was 5 years ago...

frangatang
11th Sep 2004, 19:24
Sounds like bluey,all 23 stone of him,driving one of those tiny suzuki 4 wheel drives,always in forth gear cos his gut made changing into anything else impossible

compressor stall
11th Sep 2004, 23:25
The flying boat ramp is still there now - used for the SAD set for launching thier boats.

The wharf is still there too - although very rundown. Watch where you step on it as there are loose and missing planks.

Ah karumba and the animal bar. So many stories. :ok: