PDA

View Full Version : Translation of non English forms

Dani
23rd Aug 2004, 07:33
Does anyone know? For my Singapore validation of my licenses I need a lot of forms, of which my last 2 medical checks. Unfortunately they are in German, but Singapore Aviation Authority requires them in English.

Has anyone ever translated such a paper? Where can I do that? They say there are Embassy based translators. Do I have to ask the Swiss or the Singapore Embassy?

Thanks for your help.

Dani

Angelīs One Fife
25th Aug 2004, 19:42
If the medical's that are in German are JAA then they will follow the standard formata and you will find that whether they are in Spanish English or French etc. that the number for each question are the same. All you need to do is get hold of a form that is in English and you could easily translate them yourself. Alternatively, again if you hold a JAA medical and it is worth the cost jump on a cheap jet to london and get a renewal done there and the for will be English and at most you will pay about €200. If it is for a job in Singapore then perhaps it is worth the cash.

Keygrip
25th Aug 2004, 20:52
There is a web site that would do it professionally - for a professional fee.

Try www.babelfish.com (with thanks to Douglas Adams).

cortilla
26th Aug 2004, 15:52
Having lived in singapore for a few years, and knowing their love for beurocracy, this is what i think you'll need.

1. Get the documents translated by an official embassy translator at the singapore embassy.

or

2. get them translated by a republic of singapore recognised translator (adresses should be available at the embassy).
or

3. Some countries recognise you translating the document yourself as long as it is stamped and signed by a notary public, but dunno if singapore does.

Basically give the nearest singapore embassy a ring (not sure if there is one in switzerland, but if not call the one in germany) and ask them what they reccomend. It's gonna take time and a little bit of money, but it beats being sent back from singapore to get it translated in switzerland.

But the basic message is it has to be official