PDA

View Full Version : External Aircraft Lights

RomeoMike
22nd Aug 2004, 20:37
Please could somebody explain the sequence for external aircraft lights.

Like what lights do you put on whilst still at the gate?

What lights, if any do you put on to taxi?

and when would you put your landing lights on?

Thanks

Russ

Terror_is_firmer
22nd Aug 2004, 21:28
Usually the Nav lights are on at the gate. These are the red and green lights to show port and starboard.

Before the aircraft moves or starts an engine, the beacons are turned on. These are the upper and lower red lights that flash.

Once ready to taxi, the taxi lights are turned on. These are usually located on the nose gear leg.

Upon entering the runway the wing strobe lights are turned on and are kept on untill the aircraft exits the arrival runway.

The landing lights are also turned on before entering the runway and are turned off above FL100.

I think thats the general order anyhow.

RomeoMike
22nd Aug 2004, 21:49
Thanks Terror_is_firmer.

That's all I needed to know.

Russ

1DC
23rd Aug 2004, 21:13
Coming back from KUL with Malaysian earlier this year the pilot switched on landing lights about three times whilst over Pakistan and Afghanistan, any idea why this would be required???

cirrus01
24th Aug 2004, 08:37
Probably as an aid too be seen by other aircraft ..... very little radar coverage in those areas.....

sinala1
24th Aug 2004, 09:30
Hi there folks

Was wondering why the B717 seems to have external emergency lights on for take off and landing? Not sure if its a company procedure or manufacturer function... I watch a lot of JetStar B717's go past my house on approach and they always have their emergency lights on (at night anyway, during the day I could not tell you) - and its definately the emergency lights....

Any suggestions?
Cheers!:p

IRRenewal
24th Aug 2004, 10:57
IDC,

If it was dark probably to see if there is any visible moisture in the air and hence risk of icing. Without the lights on a dark night you sometimes have no idea if you are flying in cloud or not.

1DC
25th Aug 2004, 15:31
IRRenewal

It was dark, thanks..