PDA

View Full Version : Take off Brief

Trim & Proper
21st Aug 2004, 07:48
Hi - can anyone advise me of the "Take off Brief" that I need to relay to my instructor before take off ???

IRRenewal
21st Aug 2004, 09:23
Are we talking C150 or B747 (or something in between)? Makes a bit of difference.

have you asked your instructor 'what his/her take off briefing would be'? Always a good starting point.

Regards

Gerard

Jinkster
21st Aug 2004, 11:42
Captains Brief:

VFR/ IFR Departure, runway ___

Surface is (dry, wet, etc)

Runway length and cross wind - not limiting

Vr at ___kts, Climb at __kts

IF there is a problem on the ground I will close the throttle and stop

If there is an emergency airborne with sufficient runway I will land back on

with insufficient runway - I will pick a suitable landing area and carry out the standard procedures.

Any Questions?

Hope this helps - however it is type specific and I am currently doing my CPL on the Piper Arrow and this is my brief.

Jinkster

Speedbird744
21st Aug 2004, 11:54
Don't just do this for the sake of impressing your instructor or examiner. You should recite it in your head on solo sorties as well. When you progress to flying a twin, it becomes even more important that you memorise it for your OWN benefit. In some cases if the worst case scenario really does occur and you panic , its likely subconciously you will take the action required that you've drilled into your head from the takeoff briefing.

Good luck,
S744

Trim & Proper
21st Aug 2004, 14:47
hi, many thanks for the replies - I think I have what i need.

cheers

Straightandlevel80kt
22nd Aug 2004, 09:05
I remember the days when I was reluctant - or it just didn't occur to me - to ask my instructor these sorts of questions. But remember that IS what they are there for.

redsnail
22nd Aug 2004, 11:46
Jinks, great briefing, a small tip, if you can, rather than say "pick a suitable landing area" take the time out to actually nominate an area. You can use local knowledge if it's an airport you use often or spend a moment of time looking over your charts and maps.
This will help you save time if the unexpected/expected happens and it makes the brief sound less "by rote".
:D

Charlie Zulu
22nd Aug 2004, 18:52
Hi,

I always go through a pre take-off brief, in a single as well as twin. The twin is a little more involved though.

For a piston twin I would use the following.

-----
This will be a normal / crosswind take off from Runway Three Zero. The crosswind component is ten knots which is within the seventeen knot demonstrated crosswind limit. Flaps will remain fully up.

Rotate speed will be 75 knots. Climb at 88 knots. Gear Up when insufficient runway remains. 500' AGL (convert to QNH altitude) Manifold 25", RPM 2500. At 1500' AGL (again convert to QNH altitude) increase speed to a cruise climb of 105 knots.

If we have an engine failure, fire or loss of directional control during the take off roll, throttles immediately closed, maintain directional control and stop using the remainder of the runway.

If an engine failure or fire should occur after rotation with sufficient runway available to land back on, throttles immediately closed, maintain directional control and land back onto the runway.

If an engine failure or fire should occur after rotation and below 300' AGL (convert to QNH altitude) then throttles immediately closed, maintain directional control, ensure gear is down and use flaps as necessary to land in a field within 30 to 40 degrees of the nose.

If an engine failure or fire should occur at any other time, ensure mixtures are rich, props fully fine, throttles fully forward, flaps up and gear up. Climb at 88 knots blue line speed Vyse. Verify and Feather. Proceed through the engine secure checks. Declare an emergency and land as soon as is possible.
-----

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

buzzc152
24th Aug 2004, 22:00
Charlie Zulu

Can you explain why you would elect to carry out a forced landing after an engine failure below 300ft ?? Surely this defeats the point of flying a twin ??!

The only reason I can think of is that this is a specific to your airfield & aircraft whereby Vxse isn't sufficient enough for obstacle clearance. My brief has always been, any sort of malfuntion/engine failure after rotation (with insufficient r/w available) take the problem in the air and deal with it as per the check lists.

I'm genuinly interested to know why you've been taught this as I have my ME skills test this weekend at SFC.

Thanks

Buzz

scroggs
24th Aug 2004, 23:10
Always remember to brief what it is you are intending to do assuming the aeroplane doesn't have a problem! Emergency briefs are necessary, but rarely actioned. It's no good getting to 1500ft, with engines all working fine and no other snags, and realising that you haven't actually briefed the departure you intend to fly....!

Scroggs

Charlie Zulu
24th Aug 2004, 23:20
Hi Buzz,

Well at MTOW on some light twins if you have an engine failure below a certain height then it is going to be mighty difficult to get everything cleaned up, engine feathered etc in order to get *any* climb performance out of a piston twin at Vysse before arriving at ground level anyway.

So I brief that if I have an engine failure below 300' then I'm going to treat it like a single engine and stick it into a field.

I don't want to get into the trap of being at blue line of Vyse, but still descending whilst waiting for the prop to feather etc, seeing power lines coming towards me, pulling back to get some zoom climb, seeing the ASI decreasing to Vmc and either having to power back on the good engine to regain control thus increasing my descent rate somewhat or loosing control and spiralling into the ground thus spoiling a good day out.

Basically it all boils down to never rely on a piston twin to get you out of trouble if an engine quits at the worst possible moment shortly after take-off... it probably won't, especially if you're at MTOW on a hot and high airfield.

Hope this helps.

All the best.

Charlie Zulu.

Scroggs,

You make a very good point there.

When I originally posted I was thinking on what I brief whilst flying over here from my local field, normally under VFR rules.

If, for example, I am over in the USA, using a SID (DP) to establish myself enroute out of an airport then I will brief that as well.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.