PDA

View Full Version : criminal / ASIC checks

I.like.planes
20th Aug 2004, 02:01
A few years ago I had a little indescretion and had to go to court. I managed to have no conviction recorded. I have asked at one ot two of the offices responsible for the ASIC they told me that I am highly unlikely to have any problem getting a card. My question is how do Qantas approach this check. Will they simply ignore anything that wasn't a conviction, will they simply go via the ASIC guidlines or will they knock you back even though you could hold an ASIC simply because you had a small indescretion once.

any info greatly appreciated.

cheers

speedbird23
20th Aug 2004, 02:18
No conviction recorded means you do not have to declare the "incident" on any job application. You will have record saying no conviction recorded though. Not sure how the checks are done but I don`t believe they can disclose the fact you have a section10. (legal speak for no conviction recorded in N.S.W)
Basically it should have no bearing on your chance for employment.

*Lancer*
20th Aug 2004, 02:41
If you are eligible for an ASIC you can't get knocked back for being ineleigible for an ASIC!

Aussie
20th Aug 2004, 04:18
Anyone know if you can actually get a record check done on yourself? How do you go about it?

I want to know whats recorded on my name, but dont know how to go about it...

Cheers

I.like.planes
20th Aug 2004, 04:33
Thanks for the info so far. Speedbird this whole recording of court appearances is a complcated issue. I believe that if my section 10 occured in NSW then it would not show up at all but because it occured in another state then it might. (Each state has different rules for disclosure , it appears) I suppose I am wondering about what would happen if it did show but along with the fact that a conviction did not occur.
Lancer, yes the question did probably appear a little confusing. I suppose my point is if QANTAS do find out that an indescretion occured even though it may not stop me getting an ASICwill they say " we don't what this guy in our company " even though he could hold an ASIC. ie do QANTAS assess for than the just the ability to hold an ASIC or is it that alone.

Thanks guys

The Voice
20th Aug 2004, 05:32
I.Like.Planes .. if QF ask a question on a subject like that in an interview, how would you answer it?

We were (are) all young dumb and silly once, and, by and large, have done something minor in our younger years.

My advice is this: if asked - admit to whatever it is, BUT then put a positive spin on the outcome and what you realised as a result of that event and which path you chose to follow.

ANY prospective employer would be more impressed with honest answers and self appraisal than at some time have an awful truth pointed out to them. The latter would most definitely destroy any creditability that they may have held for you.

If anyone has appeared in a court, the matter heard and determined and no conviction is recorded, the type of offence and the fact that there was no conviction recorded is notated on your personal records for ever and a day.

These days under the FOI Act, not much is sacred .. anyone can make an application for info as long as there is a valid reason for wanting that info and the appropriate fee is paid.

OZBUSDRIVER
20th Aug 2004, 07:15
aussie Police background check costs $28.00 at your local constubulary establishment.

swh
20th Aug 2004, 08:11
Aussie,

Just to expand a little on what OZBUSDRIVER said, sometimes when going for an overseas work visa they will require a national police check done, these are normally available from any police station that has finger printing capabilities, they will finger print you and then those prints will go through the databases of state and federal police, and you will get a certificate stating the results of the national finger print search, last time I did it was about $120 and took several weeks.

This check is actually more compresensive than the ASIC check, I believe the ASIC criminal check has a disclaimer on it saying that the results are not 100% conclusive as no finger print search was done.

:ok:

Dale Harris
22nd Aug 2004, 09:48
Yes, and of course, unless you HAVE done something wrong, or are a member of certain clubs or associations, your finger prints won't be on record anyway......... I've never quite worked out what the point was really.

Islander Jock
22nd Aug 2004, 10:29
aussie Police background check costs $28.00 at your local constubulary establishment.

Just had to obtain one recently in WA. From memory about $43.00 :mad:

currawong
22nd Aug 2004, 12:48
If they claim to be an "equal opportunity" employer one would think it had little relevance.....

ITCZ
23rd Aug 2004, 01:46
A few things from my and my mates 'experiences' that might help....

1. Yes Aussie you can get a check done on yourself. Music teachers, youth group leaders etc are often asked to provide a recent police clearance when they join organisations that have them supervising youngsters. As said before, walk into your local police station and ask for a check.

2. When you are at the cop shop, ask which sort of 'criminal' history checks are available. In the NT, there are two, one is more comprehensive than the other.

3. If you have lived and worked in other states of australia (as lots of pilots have), check that the records of those states will be reported on as well -- you may have a warrant out on you for an unpaid speeding fine in Kununurra, etc!

4. A lot of convictions that you and I would not consider 'criminal' are still recorded and reported on the police report.

5. Organisations like QF etc are not looking at excluding pilots that once drove their cars too fast or were caught smoking grass on the beach when they were 19. Who they ARE looking for are people with criminal convictions involving dishonesty/abuse of trust (credit card fraud, shoplifting, other theft, etc) or involving violence or property damage (assault, restraining orders, sex offenders, criminal damage, etc).

6. Most minor convictions are not recorded on such reports after 10 years has elapsed.

7. One former colleague got into Ansett without telling them about a drink drive conviction. Now, by not telling them, that pilot was saved the embarassment of fessing up and risking his application, but ran the risk of instant dismissal at any stage of his ansett career should anyone have found out and reported it to the higher beings at AN. Deliberately witholding information like that when it is requested puts you on very shaky ground. Tough call for some, but I say better to fess up, otherwise you are living with a time bomb.

As I was told when I brought up the issue with my prospective jet employer -- if they knocked back everyone who had a traffic offence, two-thirds of the current pilots would not have got in!

so, I.Like.Planes, don't worry. I had/have a ten year old traffic conviction for riding a motorcycle at twice the speed limit in a built up area that appeared on my ASIC and QF access card application. All it did was raise a grin when I showed the company security manager, who asked -- what sort of bike do you own! Its not a problem.

takeonme
23rd Aug 2004, 01:51
mate youll be right,

i got done for neg driving after taking it to court and i still got my ASIC.

youll be right.

T.O.M

Obiwan
23rd Aug 2004, 02:28
Yes Aussie you can get a check done on yourself. Music teachers, youth group leaders etc are often asked to provide a recent police clearance when they join organisations that have them supervising youngsters. As said before, walk into your local police station and ask for a check.
It varys from state to state, but usually the group involved will get the check done. You will out a consent form allowing them to do the check and they have check done. Why this way? Probably stop people trying to forge them?

Sunfish
24th Aug 2004, 04:23
If you did not get convicted, then you do not have to tell them. Period.

Secondly, at least in Victoria, employers may request a Police check, and the police will check but not disclose your records to the potential employer.

Qantas would have to specify and justify what types of crime they wish to know about and the police should simply come back with a simple "yes" or "No" answer regarding the existence of offences, but without providing specifics.

Thats what happens with school teachers and child care workers. The fact , for example, that you had convictions for marijana use is irrelevent to employment as a child care worker and would not be disclosed.

Captain Stoobing
24th Aug 2004, 09:43
Well......while we are fessing up to being bad......this one time.....

I went for an ASIC check and was rung up by the powers at be in Sydney at QF and was told there was a "warrant" out for my arrest for an outstanding speeding offence from 5 years previous.......

OH MY GOD........ I thought..........job flashing before my eyes........

The people at QF said fix this...make it go away and all will be OK.

As it turns out I had paid the fine...years before and actually found record of it and made it all go away....

I don't know if this is at all relevant to your current situation....but as I look back.....I can now laugh....

Stoob...:p