PDA

View Full Version : Advice 4 cracking that first job!

lil_blueberry
19th Aug 2004, 12:23
Hi everyone,

I am at the end of a CPL with NVFR, and would like some advice on finding that first job. I currently have 175Hrs. Age 28y.o

I would like to know if I should do an instructors course and try to get work that way (with some parachuting on the side)

OR

should I go straight into the MECIR and do some ICUS time on a chieftan and head out west to try my luck after a few months of parachuting exp.?

Anyone (in Australia particularily) with some advice to share??

Best regards
PB

Azimuth
20th Aug 2004, 02:08
Do an instructors course at a busy school where you can possibly get work at the end of it. :O

EngineOut
20th Aug 2004, 04:13
Do your MECIR, it is invaluable knowledge whether you use it or not. However don't waste your time and money on the PA-31 yet. Wait till you have got at least 1000h under your belt, it will be much more useful at that point than it would be now.

Transition Layer
21st Aug 2004, 08:35
G'day,

I'm far from an expert on the issue, but have seen people take quite a few different paths to get that first job so here's my 2c worth.

Money (and/or time) are always going to be the restrictions when trying to work out a plan of attack to get into this industry, but if neither were an issue, this would be my order of priorities -

1. MECIR - As EngineOut says, it is invaluable stuff, and will polish up your overall flying. You'll find accuracy will improve, you will be more confident on the radio and your professionalism on the whole will increase dramatically.

2. Get some parachuting time. Usually this will be in C182s or C206s and will be very handy when trying to get a charter job up north or west. Get as close to 500hrs total if you can, once again this depends on how much time u have up your sleeve.

3. Do the instructor rating. Instructing to get your first 500hrs is another option. It gives you some flexibility as well as you can perhaps move into a Check and Training role later on. Be fair on your students though, and approach the task as one that you really want to do and enjoy it, don't just treat it as an hour building experience.

4. At your experience level, the ICUS is a waste of time. It's not going to increase your chance of employment dramatically. It will be handy later on though when you need a little more multi or IF time and you will learn a lot, when the time is right.

In the end it comes down to whichever path you want to take - bush/charter or instructing. And a bit of both can't be a bad thing either.

Cheers,
TL

lil_blueberry
22nd Aug 2004, 05:03
Thanks guys for your input,

as always it may be a tough choice!

THHANKS AGAIN!

Paul