PDA

View Full Version : Questions on becoming a pilot

davieboy001
19th Aug 2004, 08:49
Hi there
I am still young (under 20) and have wanted to be a pilot for most of my life (as i can remember it).

I wandered of the path into I.T. (stupidly) and have been wondering the following.

If i were to get a P.P.L, what are the proceedures to then becoming a pilot?
ie going onto a C.P.L.

cheers

David

PPRuNeUser0172
19th Aug 2004, 10:15
cant really offer much advice about civvy flying but there is a wealth of information on this site alone if you do a search.

But the basics are get sponsorship/part sponsorship with an airline which is very rare and very competitive. Alternatively you can get your PPL hours build/instruct to pay the bills build the hours, then pay to do all your CPL exams, intrsument rating and type conversion and then get a frozen ATPL, send out loads of cv's and try to get a job!

Or join the RAF as the Queen has more aeroplanes than everyone else and she will teach you for free!;)

DS

parris50
20th Aug 2004, 08:12
1. Pass you PPL
2. Do the night rating
3. Pass the 14 ATPL exams
4. Build 150 hours (100 in command)
5. Do the CPL course
6. Do a multi engine rating
7. Do the instrument rating
8. Do the multi crew co-operation course

You will then have a frozen ATPL and will be in a position to look for a job.:ok:

Half a Mexican
20th Aug 2004, 08:27
Sit yourself down in a nice comfortable chair and read this:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134076

Cheers,
HaM

Straightandlevel80kt
20th Aug 2004, 18:50
Hi Davieboy

My goodness are you in for a shock.

Forget the armchair. Find a darkened room and lie down in it with your eyes shut and your hands over your ears. Let's just say you're embarking on a road beset with peril and anguish.

The best advice in the world if you want to fly is join the RAF. Absolutely the best way to get paid to fly and perhaps even the most efficient way into a commercial jet(?)

Depends what sort of job you want, really.

I.T. is not stupid. You need a back up in this game. It's better paid than piloting, and there are far more options. At the risk of sounding negative, my flying instructor left a good job in IT only to have to return to it after nearly ten years of instructing because the progression opportunities and money just weren't there.

You're still young (26 and under!) so get in quick with applications for sponsorships/ bonds etc, be that through GAPAN, CTC-McAlpine or others, and go for some trial lessons at your local flying club. Talk to the instructors, because they've seen and done it all before, and will give you good advice.

If you decide to go for a PPL, budget between five and six thousand pounds, and remember you need to stay current after that, and also have a means to fund further training if you still want to go commercial.

If the red mist descends and you set your heart on the big jets, be warned you're looking at a potential outlay of £80-90K if you go integrated, or perhaps £50-£60K if you go modular.

My best wishes to you.

precisionapr
21st Aug 2004, 01:54
GAPANS so you want to be an airline pilot pdf guide might give some answers. http://www.gapan.org/career/FOGPaper2.pdf

cheers and good luck paap

davieboy001
21st Aug 2004, 06:54
cheers for the help everyone

StraitNLevl80k,
My back up (at present) is web programming (writing software for the web),design and web hosting.
This is how i intend on gettting the cash.
I am still only i second year of further education.

I have looked at the RAF, but if i can remember from the interview, i am now too tall for the jets.(not 100% sure), but i will look intoit again.

Halfamexican,
cheers i am looking at it just now
:D

pecisionapr,
looking at the pdf just now
:p

parris50
cheers

Dirty Sanchez
Thanks for the info

David
:D