PDA

View Full Version : Professional Flying - Is it all worth it??

Infinity Land
19th Aug 2004, 06:37
Hi To All,

I figured this may be a good place to get a few opinions on a niggling little mid-career crisis that I have.

I'm 28 years old, hold a CPL(A), 400 hours and also hold a degree in Science for which I currently use for a big banking company. I'm contemplating leaving that all behind and going North to Broome or Darwin next year.

I have a stable girlfriend and a nice little pad down here in Melbourne that we rent together. Thinking seriously about getting into aviation to hopefully be a Big Jet pilot one day, but from what I've read on this forum so far it seems that a lot of you pilots out there are negative and critical so would I be stupid to go out and pursue the dream or should I just keep it as my passionate hobby?

Maybe some of you out there have left the office job and are now flying in GA or airlines.....well I'd like to hear from you, your experiences etc etc. How has it played on your family life......what did your girlfriend or boyfriend think about it all.....and did you think it was all worth it.....I think age gets to me that I am starting a bit too late if I get out of the office hum drum and take up flying.....sorta confused and need some guidance so if you can share your experiences then please do so.

IL...... :ok:

Bill Smith
19th Aug 2004, 06:58
It's bloody hard !!
Your girlfriend will probably leave you if you love flying more than her.
The old adage, "My girlfriend said if I went flying one more time she'd leave, Geez I miss her", is very true.
You are competing in a highly oversupplied market.

I don't think age is as important as supply and demand.
The age requirments seem to swing in round abouts.

On the bright side if you have the burn and get in with a good operator and they are around. Go for it !!

ovum
19th Aug 2004, 07:49
Check this thread out mate

http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128870&highlight=career

p.s. Bill Smith, by definition, an adage is an old saying:

\Ad"age\, n. [F. adage, fr. L. adagium; ad + the root of L. aio I say.] An old saying, which has obtained credit by long use; a proverb.

An old adage is kinda like saying ATM Machine ;) Sorry, one of my pet narks.

Peace

AIRWAY
19th Aug 2004, 08:29
Your girlfriend will probably leave you if you love flying more than her

Well,

Hard task I have to admit, although im just a student pilot, my girlfriend is starting to throw the odd sarcastic comment about me spending all my time flying than with her. In a way I will admit that it is true ( I won’t dare to think what will happen when I get a job flying ) but she has to understand that I’m in the inicial stages and I need the extra time flying, I do love her but for some reason flying gets the better of the two. I just hope that I won’t get to that bit where I have to decide, flying or her… Which I think it will be inevitable… Both require a lot of attention, but I cannot give them both my 100% attention.

Bill Smith
19th Aug 2004, 08:54
\Ad"age\, n. [F. adage, fr. L. adagium; ad + the root of L. aio I say.] An old saying, which has obtained credit by long use;

Guess it all depends on how old you are !:ok:

If we all spent time correcting each others english, spelling etc on PPRUNE there would no time to write posts !

Navajo King
19th Aug 2004, 14:43
Infinity Land,

If you do decide to head north in search of an aviation job but are NOT successful, will you be able to get your old job back easily or a similar job? If you are on a good income now you may be able to buy your own plane eventually and still live comfortably.

I was with a girlfriend for a year before I started flying for a company. After that I was away flying every weekend (which is when we use to do stuff together) and also during the week, so it just didn't work out. It all comes down to how much you value your relationship, and how much your partner/girlfriend wants to support your career.

Sqwark2000
19th Aug 2004, 22:41
Infinity Land,

it can be a hard, long road, but those who persevere will reap the rewards.

I soloed in 1989, PPL in 93, CPL in 96, first fulltime job in 2000, regional in 2004 and I'm loving it.

Just 3mths checked to line in the regional and I've practically forgotten the hard slog of getting the first job etc... It's well worth it if you really want it & give it your all.

It certainly helps having a partner willing to go on that crazy long adventure with you.

Good luck

S2K