PDA

View Full Version : RE: A young female in aviation? Follow up

splannie
19th Aug 2004, 02:07
G'day everyone,

I would like to take a minute and clarify a few misinterpretations on my topic posted earlier on "A young female in aviation" as there seem to be a bit of a confusion among some members...

I posted my message on this forum in hope to get some advice as to what is the current situation with female flight crew in the industry as well as to get some advice as to where I should start in order to get where I would like to be in life.

I have received many replies to my posting and I am TRULLY GRATEFUL to all those people who gave some time and thought to my questions and posted/sent me their advice and encouragement...

Unfortunately, it seems to me that some members COMPLETELY misinterpreted my posting and posted a few bitter comments (eg: "A young male in aviation"). By my post I did not intend to hurt anyone's feelings, little less attract the sort of bitterness Im getting at the moment. Neverless, I do appologise for any misunderstanding occuring in relation to my question.

Anna

DirectAnywhere
19th Aug 2004, 03:44
Splannie, I don't think the follow up topic to your perfectly reasonable question has been intended to belittle or insult you in any way.

It is instead aimed at those on PPRuNe whose eyes lit up when they saw a post by a 21 year old woman asking for help.

You are not the first to ask questions about future career paths on this forum. However, the response to your posts, largely I would say due to the fact that you identified yourself as a young, possibly attractive woman, is completely disproprtionate to the number of replies similar topics have received previously.

I used to fly with female students quite often, who were generally no better or worse than their male counterparts. I fly with female captains who are the equal of their male colleagues.

There is no reason why you should not be successful if you have the drive, determination and ability.

As I said, I would suggest that the implied criticism in the post "A young male in aviation" is aimed not at you but at others. You'll get enough criticism in this business of your own without trying to take anyone else's!!

So keep asking the questions and but take it all with a grain of salt. Not many people are willing to give much these days without expecting a little something back.

takeonme
19th Aug 2004, 08:58
Hi anna!

You need to stop worrying!

There will be alot of things you wont be happy with throughout your training but it seems thats just part of aviation these days.

Just keep it real and dont get too involved in the nitty gritty.

You'll be right!

T.O.M

grrowler
19th Aug 2004, 11:16
splannie,

For F@$k sake, what is the big deal!?

You're a female in aviation, I'm a male in aviation, so what? We all share the same passion, so why not get on with it and stop worrying about what sex you are. The reality is that most in aviation don't care whether you're female or male, whether your parents have paid for your flying or if you've paid for it yourself, or whether you're black or white, as long as you don't use it to cry foul and get an advantage.

Oh yeah can I get your number...:} ;)

amos2
19th Aug 2004, 12:10
Yeah!...stop writing to Prune and just get on with it!

If you're still in aviation in ten years time (most drop out) come back and talk to us then!

Wizofoz
20th Aug 2004, 00:12
....and then you'll have the RIGHT to ignore amos2 like the rest of us do...

m-dot
20th Aug 2004, 00:38
Get used to this sort of jibber jabber Splannie - unfortunately and whether you like it or not there will be people who sledge you as a chick pilot. Thats just the nature of the beast we call aviation.

This industry attracts the some of the biggest characters (read know-alls and tossers) around. Also a few (very few) of some the most honourable and likeable people you could ever meet.

Sure you have an advantage as a woman - take it as read. Its a matter of whether you are graceful about your advantage.

My advice - Just show a little respect and be mindful of those who will spend much more time to get where you hopefully get going.

Cheers

PS love the comment Growler!:ok:

amos2
20th Aug 2004, 07:23
I actually got a chuckle out of that Wiz! :p

redsnail
20th Aug 2004, 10:39
Splannie,
If you get a bit upset at the fellas having a mild joke at your expense then this isn't the career for you. I'm a female in this entertaining industry and there's no room for precious egos, male, female or any thing in between.
I thought you got some really good responses. Learn from that. The joke one was hilarious too.
If you don't like some blokes taking the mickey on an internet forum, how are you going to handle the passengers that won't fly with you because you're a female? Doesn't happen? You bet it does!!
How are you going to handle the pilots that don't think a woman should be flying? They don't exist? You had better believe that they do.

You have been given some invaluable advice for free, cop it sweet, contact AWPA and go and get a licence.

Blokes don't have a problem with female pilots, but they sure get hacked off with girls crying foul needlessly.

rimfireairburst
20th Aug 2004, 11:40
its so hard not to fall in love with you RS!
thanks for your comments, they basically bring this thread to a close.
RFAB