PDA

View Full Version : When do you know you've made it? (light-hearted humour.)

The Monst.
18th Aug 2004, 13:46
Hi all.

I don't know about yooz blokes, but I'm in the mood for a light-hearted thread. I'm looking for the phrase that best describes when it's obvious that you've "made it". When will YOU know that you've "made it" in your aviation career. I think we can come up with some pearlas. And to get things started, here are two of mine......

"When your nose wheel makes TWO tyre tracks.":rolleyes:

....or....

"When you arrive at Golden Grove Mine to drop off your pax, and you can actually pee in a TOILET without leaving the aircraft, instead of trying to hide behind your aircraft for your little indiscretion on the red gravelled parking area".:uhoh:

...yeah.......I know....so feel free to outdo me!!!

............The Monst.:ok:

johhnyrelegate
18th Aug 2004, 15:00
There are three things required that say I've made it:

1. I want to be able to walk on board my aircraft (as opposed to climbing up the wing)

2. I want the option of taking a cr@p inflight because my aircraft is fitted with a dunny.

3. Someone that will bring me a coffee in cruise.

Give me those three and I'm there until retirement.

It's all good.

rujoking?
18th Aug 2004, 16:10
When my pax are the lighter side of pale.

curfew2
18th Aug 2004, 17:32
You know when you've made it when you get paid to go to sleep at 35,000 feet.

VRB03KT CAVOK
18th Aug 2004, 22:02
It would be nice:

-To be told by ATC to 'Reduce speed'

-To have a flightplan and weight + balance given to you for your approval.

-To get in a cockpit and not see a single 'INOP' or 'U/S' label.

-The only baggage you touch is your own

-You wear a hat with the company's name on it but it's not a baseball cap.

-You get pushed back away from a terminal instead of helping to push out of the hanger.

-An inflight drama is when 1 of your 3 VHF COMs goes a little scratchy

Keep the dream alive...

Six Lima
18th Aug 2004, 22:27
1.) Switches in the roof.

2.) Control column out of the floor.

3.) Nice pair of legs carrying the coffee.

:ok:

Woomera
18th Aug 2004, 23:00
Larger size pants to accomodate the wallet.

Gold Rolex watch.

grrowler
19th Aug 2004, 00:05
gotta have a "b-ding" button!

Capt Claret
19th Aug 2004, 04:25
You've made it when you can press a button and a pretty girl brings you a cup of coffee. :}

Metro man
19th Aug 2004, 05:29
1. You are based in a place where you do not have to describe it's location relative to somewhere else.

2.You can walk upright ,or slightly bent over inside your aircraft.

3.You are unable to use it's fuel in your car.

4.You look down at the award as a minimum safety net instead of a target to aim for.

5.People outside of aviation know what you are talking about when you tell them what aircraft you fly.

6.You do not need to take your own food with you.

7.You regard a car pre 2001 as old.

8.When overnighting you stay in a major hotel, with mini bar and room service.

9.Even after a good meal you still have a large % of the allowance for it in your pocket.

10.Your shirts are not covered in oil stains ,and are less than one year old.

11.There is a space designed for you hang your jacket.

12.Every where you go has at least one instrument approach.

13.The real estate boom has been good to you.

14. You check your investments.

15.Your kids are in private school.

16.As a passenger you are at least in business class.

17.You can talk to the other pilot on the flight deck ,without using intercom or raising your voice.

18.You wonder how pilots with analogue instruments manage.

19.The yaw damper is a no go item.

20.You recieve training in subjects such as CRM ,RVSM ,ETOPS.

Rich-Fine-Green
19th Aug 2004, 05:52
...When the co-pilot says to you;

'Number two engine is out' and you can say - which wing?.

engine out
19th Aug 2004, 07:37
When you order full mains you get 36 000kg of fuel

I'm gone!
19th Aug 2004, 08:03
When you report "leaving FL430 and reducing to M0.8 due turbulence":ok:

NAMPS
19th Aug 2004, 08:55
You know you've made when you are able to:

1. say "request cancel speed restriction".

2. put "RVSM capable" on the flight plan.

tipan13
19th Aug 2004, 09:49
You Know you have made it when:

u walk up more than 3 steps to enter your aircraft
You can walk between the seats (GA-8 excluded)
You no longer enter A0__ on the flight plan
The only pistons on the aircraft are in the hydrolic system

Last but not least:
you really know you have made it in aviation is when the only problem to do with ice is when the trolly dolly put to much in your coke

Snapper_head
19th Aug 2004, 10:49
When you roll up for your first day at work and you have to get your head measured for your shiny new hat. You sit there thinking do they make one big enough.

bushy
19th Aug 2004, 10:49
You really have made it when you leave the white shoe brigade, and the "keep up with the Joneses group" behind, and do some useful flying, like flying for the RFDS, airmedical services, coastwatch etc.

Bula
19th Aug 2004, 11:18
You know when you've made when:

1. When clear prop is something you tell people from your ski boat during your 8 weeks holidays plus the rest.

2. When an engone failure is only "a small diversion"... "nothing to worry about"

3. When your uniform has more gold then white

4. Your co-pilot always has good breath

5. Turbulence is considered when you spill a little dribble of coffee down the side of your mug.

6. "clearance not avialable" is something you read about as folk law and "that never happens"

Capt L
19th Aug 2004, 11:50
I just want to fly something with an aisle!!!!

VRB03KT CAVOK
19th Aug 2004, 12:00
When the go-around or diversion you conducted makes the evening news...

Hudson
19th Aug 2004, 12:45
You know you have definately made it when the CASA inspector says "Excuse me Captain - do you mind if I come to the flight deck?"

Flyingscarecrow
20th Aug 2004, 00:05
For the GA guys: You know you've made it when the date of manufacture is more recent than you date of birth.

The Monst.
20th Aug 2004, 01:46
....when you can write in the "Endorsements" section of the MR without your hand shaking nervously.

......when you can approach a LAME about the fact that the whole vertical stabiliser has just fallen off on taxi and he doesn't roll his eyes, turn to the other LAME's and say, "....ah, bloody pilot finger trouble!", and the rest of the LAME's don't roll their eyes, giggle and shake their heads..................................................or something like that........:hmm:

itchybum
20th Aug 2004, 05:15
I think you know you've made it when:

-you wish you were back in an airplane with no aisle,

-you think back fondly about having to enter the cabin by climbing over the wing,

-you wish it was just you on board (no pretentious hosties grumbling about "He wants ANOTHER coke with ice...)

-you think how nice it was in the old days to be able to see individual trees/cows/whatever on the ground because you're not up at 41000ft catching cosmic rays,

-you wish you could fly a go-around without having to report yourself in the Log,

-you wish you didn't have to wear that stupid hat each day,

-you wish you could fly VFR like the old days so you don't have to deal with Bombay on HF...

Did I miss anything??

20th Aug 2004, 06:03
When you walk into the bank mangers office and he greets you with a smile and offers coffee and cake, then asks how much would you like to withdraw from your savings? :cool:

HEALY
20th Aug 2004, 08:06
1) Aerodromes you fly to have a licensed code

2) You make more money than the stupid, heavy, dumb miners/politicians behind you

3) You have windscreen wipers

4) De icing doesn't involve a well timed throw of water just before take off

5) Putting flight levels/mach numbers on the plan

6) HF actually works

7) VHF works also

8) You laugh at people having to do orbits at 2000'

9) Laugh at the 1 in 60 rule as the FMC does the diversion for you

10) The plane you fly now is you weekend 'fun' plane to go fishing/surfing with.

PropDuster
20th Aug 2004, 10:08
you can quite ligitimately say

....." if it aint Boeing I aint going" :cool:

Towering Q
20th Aug 2004, 23:40
When your pre-take-off brief doesn't include the words..."mixture up, pitch up, power up...kiss my a$$ good-bye".:{

Tagneah
21st Aug 2004, 01:43
Your Passengers dont ask:

"So do you want to be a Commercial Pilot one day?"

compressor stall
21st Aug 2004, 02:19
Itchybum.

brilliant! :ok:

Very true.

John Eacott
21st Aug 2004, 02:42
Why do I get the impression that Airline Driver is the be all and end all for most of the posters here......;)

When I've made the last payment to the finance company :cool:

The Other Half
21st Aug 2004, 03:25
...With a few more additions.

- You can go flying for "fun" because you own the plane.

- You your wife and kids don't have to wonder where things are going/coming from next.

Cheers :ok:

gaunty
21st Aug 2004, 03:42
Eeeerm....... when you get to retire voluntarily :p, reasonably intact, :} still married to wife #1,:{ :ouch:, respected by your peers:8, surrounded by your grandchildren :eek: and with a life well lived. :D :cool:

mmmbop
21st Aug 2004, 06:56
VRB03KT CAVOK

"-To get in a cockpit and not see a single 'INOP' or 'U/S' label."

Won't ever happen......never!!

ITCZ
21st Aug 2004, 08:35
I knew I had 'made it' when ....

1. I paid more dollars in tax in one year than i earned as a C210 pilot!

2. FA's apologised if they couldn't bring me an Earl Grey tea, white and a half!

3. Operations rang, apologised for ringing me at home on my day off(!!!) but would I be available for a call out that would be about a thousand dollars worth of flying, and happily said 'thanks anyway' when i knocked it back!

JSM
21st Aug 2004, 10:31
when you pull out of your parking bay and blow the absoulte crap out of anyone/anything standing behind you

Towering Q
21st Aug 2004, 12:11
Earl Grey?? Yukk!!:yuk:

English Afternoon Breakfast!!:ok:

Gravox
23rd Aug 2004, 02:13
You know you have made it when
1 Management try to help you out,
2 Aircraft is prepared on arrival,
3 Maintenance is quickly repaired not operating under a dozen MELs

When the aircraft has
1 A cockpit door
2 Call button
3 Flight attendant
4 you don't have to give a pax brief ( FA's job)
5 A toilet
6 Able to walk down the aisle, not hunched over.

VH-ABC
23rd Aug 2004, 03:40
When I think you've made it in aviation...

With a sweat-stained shirt covered in oil, dirt under your fingernails, sunburnt neck and tatty old thongs, you close the cowl on the aircraft you paid for yourself, built yourself, and fix yourself... point it into wind at an aerodrome with no known name in the middle of nowhere, and go wherever the hell you want, at whatever speed you want....

and simply enjoy what you are doing in aviation.

the looka
23rd Aug 2004, 04:09
-Your mate on the 777 is jealous
-His missus tries to line you up with her friends

maxgrad
24th Aug 2004, 01:22
When the "bding" switch goes bdoeoeng and you are given a choice of nescafe, international roast or perculated.
when there are more switches than there are dials.
when you look back at those days in a c152 and actually smile.

cunningham
24th Aug 2004, 10:37
1. When you turn up at your daughters birthday party and you here her ask your wife " mummy who is that man?"

disco_air
24th Aug 2004, 11:38
...when the night before isnt taken up by:

Drawing up tracks on your WAC
Working out tracks & distances
Calculating LSALT's
Writing down all the frequencies you'll be on
Reading the ERSA to figure out how you'll join the circuit

Still doin' that!

....Disco

incidentreport
24th Aug 2004, 18:55
You know you've made it when you get woken up from a good sleep and asked if we should go right or left around the big CB's ahead.

Lodown
24th Aug 2004, 20:01
When you can talk about all the 'heroic' things you've done in the past without having to worry about being caught doing the same stupid things in the future.

nzmarty
25th Aug 2004, 07:10
* when your preflight consists of "yup, 18 wheels, 4 big round thingies that make lots of noise, a big stickie uppie thing at the back, 150 tonnes of fuel...."

or,

* when someone ELSE does your preflight....

Howard Hughes
25th Aug 2004, 08:14
Of course its when mission control says:

"Mr Hughes stand by for re-entry burn in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1"

Cheeers, HH.

Bevan666
25th Aug 2004, 23:09
HH,

You could have done better than that

'HH stand by for Trans Lunar Injection burn'

Now I'd give my left nut to do that!

Bevan..

Counter-rotation
26th Aug 2004, 00:17
1) Nothing about my day at work involves the "s" word - SCENIC!

2) Don't have to work another casual job to pay the bills!

Ha HA HAAAAAAA!:D :{

Keep riding the emotional rollercoaster!

CR.

(top thread btw!)

maxgrad
26th Aug 2004, 08:23
When you are challenged almost every flight.
When you are happy to stay with the job for however long
Then again it's that coffee thing too!

VRB03KT CAVOK
26th Aug 2004, 09:26
You check the 'D & G Reporting Point' instead of the 'D & G General Aviation' Forum to find out what's happening at work...

Pinky the pilot
26th Aug 2004, 11:16
When you can say to the 'blockie' for whom you've been picking oranges, pruning/desuckering trees, vines etc on a casual basis for the last (insert a number more than four) years......
"take this job and shove it, I 'aint workin' here no more.." *
and go back to flying, even if it's in light twins!!!
"The grass is always greener" etc

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

* With apologies to the C@W singer Johnny Paycheck

Hudson
28th Aug 2004, 14:35
You know you've got it made (I think....) when a mincing apparition appears at the flight deck door and says Hi Cappie - I'm Jamie - All doors closed and POB 150".

Jamair
29th Aug 2004, 10:48
When Messrs Beech, Piper, Cessna, Embraer, Dehavilland, Boeing and Airbus are ringing me to see which way my company is headed over the next 5 years......:ok:

boofta
29th Aug 2004, 20:43
You have really made it when you read Flight International from
the front to the back without checking the jobs at the back FIRST!

The Bullwinkle
29th Aug 2004, 23:24
When your passengers smell better than you do !!!!!

When other pilots who never even acknowledged you before start calling you "mate".

When you no longer have to put the covers on the aircraft at night.

When just the thought of having to do an NDB approach fills you with dread.

When an extra 10kgs of baggage is of no consequence.

When you no longer have to contemplate ditching if you lose one engine on take-off.

When you don't have to consult with your passengers regarding the exact location of the airstrip.

White Wagon
30th Aug 2004, 07:45
When your plane breaks and the company charters a citation to fly an engineer 2500km to sign off the fault

FEW VB 1700
30th Aug 2004, 09:44
- When fellow colleagues on your flight deck use the term "bugsmasha" to describe a 737.
- When you have to justify why you want to do your upgrade on a two engine jet

The Monst.
3rd Sep 2004, 12:05
...when you are able to buy an air compressor and wood work combination machine for your home workshop.

Ultralights
3rd Sep 2004, 12:48
Why do I get the impression that Airline Driver is the be all and end all for most of the posters here.....

I was thinking the exact same thing!!

With a sweat-stained shirt covered in oil, dirt under your fingernails, sunburnt neck and tatty old thongs, you close the cowl on the aircraft you paid for yourself, built yourself, and fix yourself... point it into wind at an aerodrome with no known name in the middle of nowhere, and go wherever the hell you want, at whatever speed you want....

AMEN TO THAT BRUTHA!

I know i have made it in Aviation when i

a- Enjoy dragging MY aircraft out of the hangar

b- Admire looking at a perfectly smooth composite wing as i climb over it into My cockpit and note the G-meter pegged at +4 from my last act of aviation.

c- I can open my wallet and see My aircrafts Rego certificate behind my aircrew licence!

d- when on a long flight, you can practice your 8 point hesitation rolls and not upset anyone!

John Eacott
4th Sep 2004, 07:13
Ultralights,

:ok: :ok: ;)

And of course the certificate in your wallet has your personal initials as the aircraft rego :D

JSM
4th Sep 2004, 12:04
When you can upgrade can afford to upgrade your Jepps binders from Plastic to Premium Leather

Soulman
5th Sep 2004, 08:51
Well, I reckon you know when you've made it when instead of the instructor calling you a RETARD, the plane itself calls you one... Everytime you are about to land!

Soulman.

Going Nowhere
5th Sep 2004, 09:35
I think you've made it when you look out your office window and think to yourself. "God I pity those bastards stuck in their buildings all the way down there!"

kavu
5th Sep 2004, 23:13
When you don't have to buy a newspaper. You just read one that the passengers have left behind.

Transition Layer
7th Sep 2004, 09:05
When whatever you're flying has windscreen wipers.... :8

Bagot_Community_Locator
7th Sep 2004, 09:11
Wipers ?

Some Chieftains have wipers. A Chieftain also has an aisle, but I wouldn't consider a Chieftain as "making it".
:confused:

SmoothCriminal
7th Sep 2004, 09:21
So does the De-Havilland Dove....Wipers - the only hydraulic thing in it. Still coupla them floating around the joint.
Well.....errrr....ummm.....maybe we could've call it'making it' if it was the late 50's :)

Smoothie :ok: :ok:

Pass-A-Frozo
9th Sep 2004, 05:00
When people start asking "When will you retire from the airlines" instead of "So are you planning on trying for the airlines".

:confused:

Transition Layer
9th Sep 2004, 05:18
B_C_L/Smoothie,

Yeah after typing it I did remember seeing a Mojave with wipers. Regardless, I'd probably consider a Chieftain as making it at the moment!!!

It's all relative! :ok:

TL

SmoothCriminal
9th Sep 2004, 06:03
Transition ;

Agreed..... These days at times Chieftain pays more than a FO in a Tinny anyways ..... So....Agreed

Smoothie:ok:

Pinky the pilot
9th Sep 2004, 10:14
Oi you lot........Don't badmouth Chieftains!!!!!!!
Or you'll have to deal with me!:E

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

The Monst.
9th Sep 2004, 14:48
When 80 nm or more is your TOP OF DESCENT rather than your first leg of the day.

Willie Nelson
9th Sep 2004, 16:34
80 nm is your TOD, standard descent profile is 280/240 knots (conducted at flight idle.)

I am privileged enough to have moved on from Chieftains now however, I remember a time when I thought that if I never flew anything bigger I would live and die a happy man, thats still true, but it only gets bigger and better from there.

Dang, I love this job! ;)

KnifeEdge
9th Sep 2004, 18:05
I always thought that by the time I get to fly a plane where the nosewheel is behind me I'd be a happy man;)

poteroo
12th Sep 2004, 01:58
When everything in your hangar has the training wheel directly under the rudder

happy days,

itchybum
13th Sep 2004, 02:11
When you can't see the wingtips from the cockpit and you've never been down to the back if the aircraft. Ever.

Major Cong
13th Sep 2004, 11:31
While playing on Jane's simulations with your young son you turn and ask "Do you want to be a pilot when you grow up ?" and he replies "no way I don't want to end up drinking the beer in the local pub!" .......

FEW VB 1700
17th Sep 2004, 06:37
- When you are sitting in your canteen at work, look through the window and notice there are two car parks allocated to representatives from companies "Rolls Royce" and "General Electric"

kiwi chick
20th Sep 2004, 00:42
When I know what RVSM means :O

janesays
20th Sep 2004, 00:46
Really Voluptuous Single Mother....I've been trying to get on a course for years.

18-Wheeler
20th Sep 2004, 01:17
When you have a handle like mine. ;)

Towering Q
20th Sep 2004, 08:46
When I have to ask for a ride report.

Hang on, I can do that now..."Centre, any traffic in my area that can give me a ride report, I'm thinking of going up to 10 000?!?:O

Luke SkyToddler
20th Sep 2004, 10:38
1) when you are the treasurer of the classic car club

2) when you have an annual presentation made in your honour at the warbirds society

3) when you are paying maintenance to 3 ex wives and still can afford 1) and 2) above

4) when you make more money from your investment properties than your salary

5) when your inbox is full of pilot's cvs

6) when you don't bother keeping any of those pilot's cvs because they don't have >1000 hours jet

7) When you get hauled into the boss's office for a bollocking, it's from the CEO, and not some miserable grumpy old GA b*stard

8) When security try to confiscate your swiss army knife off you at the x-ray point, and you say "don't you know who I am?" ... and they let you past :}

Flyingscarecrow
23rd Sep 2004, 02:14
When you CAN'T put the last 10L of fuel in the drum into your car because it's less than 20 years old and can't handle the lead! That would be making it!

Ultralights
24th Sep 2004, 11:14
7) When you get hauled into the boss's office for a bollocking, it's from the CEO, and not some miserable grumpy old GA b*stard

I Know ive made it, because i AM the CEO! :cool: :ok:

Speeds high
26th Sep 2004, 00:25
When you have to look behind you to see the engines

VRB03KT CAVOK
26th Sep 2004, 12:05
You can walk under the wing of your 'low wing' aircraft without ducking.

Speeds high
26th Sep 2004, 21:39
you can drive under the wing of your low wing aircraft, without the requirement to apply for a new job afterwards.

Defected
27th Sep 2004, 01:35
When you can laugh at the offer of an Eagle interview...

Centreline Thrust
28th Sep 2004, 09:38
When you get a job that's not based in Burketown!!!!

DirectAnywhere
29th Sep 2004, 21:12
When this year's tax return is bigger than your salary for your first year in aviation.

MIss Behaviour
1st Oct 2004, 06:21
You've made it when you can press a button and a pretty girl brings you a cup of coffee

Claret I see you don't fly l/h QF.....just kidding ladies.

Seriously though, you know you've made it when you are sh!t canned by other pilots because you might be a threat to them.

TopTup
2nd Oct 2004, 09:46
.... when you begin to receive:

"Another nice landing, Captain."
"How would you like your coffee, Captain?"
"I think the ugly one likes me, Captain."