PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Heads Up!

Sunfish
17th Aug 2004, 21:47
Seems that NBC tried to make a story in the U.S. a few days ago by getting two fake terrorist hijackers to try and charter a helicopter near New York.

The guys looked middle eastern, were wired for sound and video, paid in cash, had fake ID's, boxcutters in backpacks and so on.

Anyway the operator wised up, stalled them, called the cops who promptly arrested them. Then let them go when they proved they were NBC journalists trying to do a story about how insecure general aviation is.

Whats the betting that channels nine, seven and ten, a current affair and all will try and do the same thing here? Be alert for theatrical middle east types posing as potential charterers.

Here is the link: http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2004/040812watch.html

rearwhelsteer888
17th Aug 2004, 23:19
They might hi-jack your 152,look out!:E
No but seriously,that is so bloody american,they really are the biggest bunch of twits,the media that is.I would have thought that the wounds are still pretty fresh,they obviously have little shame...
General aviation in general has poor security,about as secure as my 30 yr old cessna.:}

Inverted FL
18th Aug 2004, 02:38
rearwhelsteer888
"No but seriously,that is so bloody american,they really are the biggest bunch of twits,the media that is"

Well said, I couldnt have said it any better myself. Their ratings must have fallen now they want to stir things up again.

disco_air
18th Aug 2004, 08:20
I believe channel nine news did already do something of the sort. Didnt see the actual show, but saw the preview - they apparently got a box cutter or something on a Rex Saab bound for Sydney at some regional airport.

takeonme
18th Aug 2004, 08:24
f****en americans

haughtney1
18th Aug 2004, 09:53
I think we are missing the point a bit.......although the methods used to illustrate poor security by the media generally are underhand...do you think that if journo's can come up with an idea, perhaps our earstwhile fundamentalist brothers might well do the same?
Anyway.......if you think the press are underhand in the US..try coming to the UK...here they smuggle guns, knives, explosives onto aircraft (and have the effect of tightening security!) oh and not to mention posing as royal servants...so they can poison old lizzies cornflakes.

Cheers H

Low-Pass
18th Aug 2004, 10:21
So why did they let them go rather than slinging their arses in gaol?

LP

currawong
18th Aug 2004, 11:37
So why not rough them up "whilst trying to escape"?

They are journos after all and need to be punished

;)

curfew2
18th Aug 2004, 17:29
why not send them down to Guantanimo Bay and then lay charges against them in about 2007?

Keg
18th Aug 2004, 21:45
lol. This is similar to one I heard the other day about the Olympics. Apparently a british journo applied to a labour hire company for a gig at the games which he got. He claimed that he wasn't back ground checked (he was and of course there is nothing in his background apart from being a first class prat!) and that the 'devices' that he left in the main olympic arena weren't detected. The 'devices' were plasticine with wires and batteries.

The greek response was classic. 'Our bomb detector dogs are trained to detect explosives, not coloured cornflower'! :ok:

currawong
20th Aug 2004, 12:39
"And now for your insolence, a full cavity search":uhoh: