PDA

View Full Version : ATPL at 38??

767bill
17th Aug 2004, 20:54
I am thinking hard about taking the plunge and taking a CPL course with the aim of eventually landing a job flying for a regional or budget / charter airline maybe abroad. What are my chances of landing a job assuming I am 39/40 on getting frozen ATPL? Currently have achieved PPL (about 110 hours total) and got a class 1 medical last year, would appreciate comments from any who have followed a similar path.

YYZ
18th Aug 2004, 08:21
If it makes you feel better? On my ATPL GS course I would say there around 10% of people over 35.

You will get allot of negative people on here and rightly so, this will then give you the information needed to make a more informed decision, but ultimately only you can decide.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

YYZ
PS take all comments with a large pinch of salt.

scroggs
18th Aug 2004, 08:43
Read this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131649), in which you will find links to four threads (of hundreds) that cover the 'am I too old' topic. But don't expect to get a definitive answer; there isn't one.

Scroggs

High Wing Drifter
18th Aug 2004, 09:18
To save you reading all the messages, I think I can boil it down to this. Go for it so long as you can:

1) Afford a low paid job (initially)

2) Afford to loose the money

3) Can be very flexible regarding base, type of flying, type of a/c, etc, etc.

I'm 37 and was with YYZ at the BGS course in July so I concur regarding the age spread. Haven't figured out who she/he is yet though :O As far as I can determine, to afford this lark you either need to be on a scheme or with a successful career behind you!!

Cheers!
HWD.

YYZ
18th Aug 2004, 12:41
I was the one dressed in the giraffe outfit!! You must of noticed me:confused:

YYZ:}

High Wing Drifter
18th Aug 2004, 13:14
Rings a bell :uhoh: :p

767bill
19th Aug 2004, 12:20
Thanks for the advice, and humour - always appreciated- I shall do some more research and bean counting before amking any decisions. All the best.

Megaton
19th Aug 2004, 12:45
I'm 37 but have finished exams, flying and MCC with just over 400 hrs. Been applying for last few months without a sniff. I am currently in a high profile aviation post with excellent contacts in the industry which is, ever so slightly, frustrating. Despite 2 degrees, first time passes in all exams, flights tests, charity work (kid you not) blah blah still haven't had an offer of interview. The currently popular phrase is "experience commensurate with age" so if you're late 30's you probably need thousands of hours rather than hundreds. And before somebody points out that their mate got a job and he was 39 with 250 hrs, there are, of course, always exceptions.

It will take you up to 2 years (if you're quick) to finish exams and flying which means you will be 41/42 but competing with 21/22 yr olds from the integrated courses. You won't have sufficient hrs for air taxi so your only option for hr building is going to be instructing through which the pay is generally appalling.

It is most definitely possible but only for the most determined and motivated. You will need financial independence since you won't be earning much and the full support of your family. You also need a fallback plan if it goes pear-shaped. I've jumped ship (poor choice of words :) ) and am happy that I'm going to throw myself into job hunting for a right-hand seat but it is very, very scary!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do,

HP

High Wing Drifter
19th Aug 2004, 13:03
but it is very, very scary!
Nowhere near your level but I feel the same. I say to my missus "Its alot of money, I think I should reconsider", she says "Nonesense, you got this far so finish it!". "OK dear :o)" says I.

six-sixty
19th Aug 2004, 14:30
I am one of the other old gits on the BGS brushup last month (36, but looks 56). And to think I was in the same class as the famous HWD?

Were you doing Mod 1 old chap?

High Wing Drifter
19th Aug 2004, 15:17
Negative old bean. Mod 2. Managed to scrape through too...much to my suprise!! Does that narrow it down :O

YYZ
19th Aug 2004, 15:21
six-sixty HWD was on Mod 2, however I was on Mod1, Sexy looking young (30) chap at the back left.

There were not many older people in the class so I am confident I can narrow you down to two people.

At a guess you were just in front of me next to the CTC boys?

At first I also thought HWD was with us but he wasn’t:( He was hiding upstairs.

YYZ

High Wing Drifter
19th Aug 2004, 15:25
YYZ, your PM box is full!

YYZ
19th Aug 2004, 15:28
Im a popular boy:O

Should be OK now:ok:

YYZ

Northern Highflyer
20th Aug 2004, 09:06
There were a couple on my Mod 1 class earlier this year who looked around the 40 mark.

I get to move upstairs (a bit like being in the top year at school :} ) for Mod 2 in September so will have to have a look around and report back - unless I am the oldest there of course. :hmm:

JohnnyPharm
20th Aug 2004, 12:58
I am in a similar position i.e. more mature than others, but about halfway through the training. Sometimes I feel like giving it up with all the doom and gloom you read on here amongst other things.

But at the end of the day it keeps eating away at you inside and you can't wait to get in the saddle again and start flying and studying harder than ever.

Thats what I think, yes it would be easier to give up but I know it would eat away at me til I had gone the whole hog. Anyone whatever the age will probably feel the same. So my advice to anyone is just do it, don't really matter if you get a job at the end of it, because it is addictive and it will eat into you even more if you do jack it all in!!!!!!!

767bill
20th Aug 2004, 21:58
Thanks Ham Fisted. Good Luck with the job hunting, be interested to know how you get on.