PDA

View Full Version : Ag rating and loading in Oz

Master Red Cylinder
17th Aug 2004, 15:39
Some questions for the ones out in the field:

Do employers of newly qualified ag ratings care much about age to start as a loader?

I am 35 and have Aust CPL, 1400TT, MECIR, Night, and lots of farm experience, aircraft maintenance, and not afraid of hard work. Love farm work and Im not after hours for airlines, etc. Have chemical knowledge but no Aust quals yet. I would like to do my Ag rating soon.

Do you think, just based on these facts (specially that Im not 18 and new out of school), I could get a chance loading for a few seasons to hopefully get a seat flying in the future? What is the offer/demand situation in the current state of agriculture in australia?

Any opinions on people with similar experience?

Any insight welcome.

MRC

currawong
17th Aug 2004, 21:32
MRC,

Hiring is now, pull finger.

Check out www.fieldair.com.au in the classifieds section.

Also the search function here will yield some good gen.

Good luck

solowflyer
18th Aug 2004, 03:38
Opperators sure are in full swing. Place an ad on that site and you will have several responces within a week, I can vouch for that first hand start new job on friday.

Age is no problem but you will need a HR licence, no big deal really just head down to your local RTA sit the exam then do a 2 day course at a driving school.

Pay and conditions are usually not bad to bloddy good. Just beware when the season starts you will be working your ring off 24hr in some places sleeping when you can.

As far as flying goes most opperators I have come across are generally willing to let new pilots come through the ranks if they can prove themselves not to be dickheads on the ground first. However they won't sponsor you through a rating unless you are very lucky. My last boss sumed it up "Johnny on the spot" If you have a rating and are there then you have a good chance of some flying.

Good Luck it's heaps of fun:ok:

Master Red Cylinder
21st Aug 2004, 02:01
Thanks for the good tips!