PDA

View Full Version : A young male in aviation

rimfireairburst
17th Aug 2004, 12:21
A young male in aviation?

Hi everybody

I would like to introduce myself first... my name is Andrew, I am 21 years of age and I am currently finishing my studies in business and commerce in Melbourne.

Needless to say that I am here because aviation takes a large part in my life... Since the age of 7 my goal in life was to become a pilot or flight attendant.

I am hoping to join one of the numerous Sydney flying schools sometime next year and get on with making my dream a reality.

I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to meet people who are in the industry (the more, the better), so PLEASE, PLEASE feel free to drop me a line and say "hi" ... I am new to this forum and yet do not know any members, but hey, if there is a will, there is a way

*Any similarity to other posts or real people is purely coincidental! No animals were harmed in the production of this thread. (Just purely a study in intent!)

currawong
17th Aug 2004, 12:50
Onya rimfire.

Someone had to do it.

Surely the other one is a wind up?

Ibex
17th Aug 2004, 13:51
Hi Andrew!

Welcome with warm and open arms to the board!

All I can say is go for it!!!!!!!!!!!

When I strap on my trusty steed and launch myself on laughter filled wings into the cool crisp pre dawn air, my heart racing and my pants throbbing, I realise that there is no other job in the world I would rather be doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There ain't nothing wrong with early morning sticky dreams, and if you stick at it, you WILL get there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But be aware that there are some males out there who may give you a hard time. I've flown with a few males before and even a few Captains who were male, and don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against males in aviation, but I have come across a few who seem to always have something to prove, and that doesn't make em popular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel free to PM me anytime you want, as we are all here to help each other on the long, tough, lonely, challenging and endless pursuit we all slog through, each of us just reaching forward one small step at a time looking forward to that next wonderful moment we break the surly bonds of earth.

I know how you must get wet in the eye everytime you see one of those glorious machines glide through the air above your head, or outside the office window, I too once held your dream!!

Live your dreams son, pursue them at any cost and god speed to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

apache
18th Aug 2004, 00:40
GREAT... just what Australia needs.... ANOTHER EMPTY KITCHEN!!!!

Leave the flying to the women, mate!

gatfield
18th Aug 2004, 23:26
Prolly cos young males in aviation are boring.

Now all you young avitors don't get easily offended now.

Well if he was gay, bisexual, a buddhist, or from some other minority group I'd welcome him with open arms. :p

splannie
19th Aug 2004, 01:54
PURELY INCIDENTIAL? A STUDY IN INTENT HEY?

Im actually a bit disappointed to see someone so bitter about my posting as to reply in such a way.

When I posted my message on this forum I trully didn't know where I was standing as a female in the aviation industry and so turned to the industry professionals for an advice. I had ABSOLUTELY no intentions to make anyone bitter, but simply to meet some people and ask for an advice as to where I should start.

I did get many replies to my posting and TRULLY GRATEFUL to all those people who gave some time and thought to my questions and posted/sent me their advice...

As to your question, I think it is EXCEPTIONALLY sad that my post is misinterpreted and used in a totally inapropriate context.

Neverless, I wish you all the best in your studies.

Splannie

NAMPS
19th Aug 2004, 04:21
Studying business and commerce ay?

I think trading derivatives with an investment bank is a much more lucrative career choice for you my friend.

Just think, a base salary of $150K with 10% commission on what you make - average $550K total remuneration per year.

Just a tip - although econometrics is boring get good marks in the subject, managers of investment banks love the subject.

Soon you will afford to buy an airline...

Chimbu chuckles
19th Aug 2004, 06:30
rimfireairburst...if your enquiry is genuine then best of luck and all I said on that other thread:E applies equally to you.

When I first spotted this thread however the first 3 or so replies had me convinced it was a wind up thread...and it was funny...I was ROFLMAO at the empty kitchen quip:}

There are a HUGE number of young guys come on here and ask the very same questions..when a girl comes on it's a bit of a novelty...that why she got the response...not so sexist me thinks.

Chuck.

chief wiggum
19th Aug 2004, 07:54
Im actually a bit disappointed to see someone so bitter about my posting as to reply in such a way.

Welcome to Aviation SPLANNIE....

If you are going to cry every time someone takes the P!SS out of you, then maybe a career in a nice protected, politically correct office would be a better choice for you.

SERIOUSLY ? if anyone is considering a career in aviation, then I would encourage everyone REGARDLESS of sex. What I don't encourage is a pilot crying when it gets too hard (the work that is) ... REGARDLESS of sex!

Most of all... enjoy it. If you don't then you won't get very far ... REGARDLESS of sex!!!

rimfireairburst
19th Aug 2004, 08:39
To be fair the whole thread as 95% realised was a p1ss take. I was mildly interested as to how much advice I would get compared with splannie.......but, splannie, the thread was designed to help you understand what youre getting into.

1. From me: if you cant take a joke dont bother...they will get funnier, and at times worse. If youre just "disappointed" splannie I think my job here is done.

2. From the thread: Beware those who offer you too much advice or private tuition (its a sad situation in almost any industry, aviation, sadly, included) What I tried to show is that there are many many good samaritans when the fairer sex are involved. 99% of folk are fantastic, but it only takes one to ruin your life.

3. Believe none of what you hear and only have of what you see!

To the genuine folk out there and those who took the time to PM me (assuming you werent trying to sneak me behind the bike-sheds ;) )...... its nice to see the heart of GA isnt dead. Im sorry for wasting your time to make my point.

Transition Layer
19th Aug 2004, 10:29
Hey NAMPS,

You are always first to tell everyone how much they can make AWAY from flying, and how successful you are. Your luxurious apartment overlooking Sydney Harbour and your nice car etc.

P1ss-take or not, don't discourage the bloke (or any other wannabes) by telling him/her how successful you can be elsewhere as I'm sure they already know that. Anyway, I'm sure your view over the harbour can't be half as good as punching out of 8/8ths of cloud into bright sunlight.

Anyway, I'm off to check out Professional Lawyers Rumour Network, cause thats what I really wish I was doing.

Ciao,
TL

Bird Strike
19th Aug 2004, 11:29
Call me naughty but I nearly p!ssed myself laughing when I saw this thread just after it was posted!

NAMPS
19th Aug 2004, 23:30
TL, my response was to what was obvious (to me anyway) a gee up post. Tongue-in-cheek.

The only other post where I have made known the facts you allude to was "where is the grass greener" (or similar). In that post I thought I made it clear that despite the trappings, I would much rather be flying for a living.

I don't think the posts are discouraging at all.

Despite not being in GA anymore, I am fortunate enough to be able to fly for fun on a regular basis, and you are right there is nothing like puching through 8/8ths into sunshine. :ok:

Safe flying...

splannie
20th Aug 2004, 04:42
Ok people, I think I might just stop it here and now.

All I wanted to get from this site is some sort of directions as to where to start PURELY in relation to flying and obtaining PPL, CPL etc etc. A huge thank you to those who gave me such directins and now I have a pretty good idea as to how to go about it.

I am not needing ANY advice as to how to deal with males in the job. I am also NOT interested in ANYONE showing me how to deal with sarcastic comments from male individuals and keep them out of my pants. Im a big girl and i recon i can manage.

chief wiggum
20th Aug 2004, 13:06
If you're a "Big Girl" then there won't be too many "boys" trying to get into yer pants! .....

Seriously though, It sounds to me like you ARE taking things personally, and getting your knickers in a twist prematurely. IF this post is typical of your personality, then perhaps GA is not the safest place for you to be. Personally... I hope that everyone who wants to fly, can fly; and those that want to fly commercially will achieve their dreams.

No offence intended SPLANNIE... a sense of humour IS required to do the job!

apache
22nd Aug 2004, 11:56
when a girl comes on it's a bit of a novelty

How exactly is it a novelty ? There are many "girls" on here, and there are many females flying professionally.

Splannie... any employer worth their salt will look at your resume as a PILOT only... not a female pilot.

As has been said, There is a significant perceived advantage in being a female in Aviation these days .... and there are some who are a bit bitter about it - don't let these people get you down. ALSO... don 't think that you are owed anything just cos you are of the fairer sex. EVERYBODY does it hard thru GA, and we all had to/have to fly the SAME aircraft, in the same weather for the same pay and do the same work.

As has been said before, make sure you enjoy it.

hungry_flygal
23rd Aug 2004, 10:49
I agree - there are gals out there, and probably many more entering the field nowdays. Although we could probably always do with more to even the field a little .... Not that the guys I know arn't fantastic..

Cheers all :ok: