PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Radio Scanner in Dubai

ozcamel
16th Aug 2004, 19:11
Hi Everyone,

I want to buy an ICOM R5 handheld scanner to listen in to ATC etc. Does anyone know where I can buy one cheaply in Dubai? Are the "legal" to bring into Dubai and use them. How about Singapore? Is the R5 available there?

Thanks.
Ozeagle

speed freek
16th Aug 2004, 19:18
Try the Duty Free mate. Had a look for one there a while back. Still bloody expensive so it put me off. Have no idea if its legal or not, just don't get caught!

Cheers.

MAN777
20th Aug 2004, 18:37
Not sure of the legalities of the use of a scanner in UAE, All i know is the airport police went ballistic with me at Sharjah (just up the road from Dubai) when they saw my scanner, they threatened to conficate it.
Any unauthorised interest in aircraft in this part of the world is not recommended.

Both Singapore and Dubai airports have website links to their respective duty free stocks. The shop at Singapore were willing to get anything with a bit of advance warning. (not quite anything)

Jango
28th Aug 2004, 08:28
Scanners technically illegal in UAE, but I brought one in from outside in my luggage and no one really cared at customs, as long as hand held or smallish in size, not a problem.

Singapore better place, as they only had 1 or 2 in dubai duty free last time I looked and as mentioned earlier, expensive.

RAdio Shack in the US cheapest I have found.