PDA

View Full Version : Reno Air Races

RabbitLeader
16th Aug 2004, 11:44
I'm currently trying to think up an idea for a novel about the Reno air races, and am looking for info about pilots or aircraft, and in particular what one needs to do in order to race (training etc).

If anyone can point me in the general direction of some good info (websites, books etc), that'd be a great help.

TIA

treadigraph
16th Aug 2004, 13:02
Try "Fly Low, Fly Fast" (turn left!) By Robert Gandt.

Was hoping to go this year, but maybe next....

Fris B. Fairing
17th Aug 2004, 09:47
RabbitLeader

It's not specifically Reno but it is about air racing, albeit a "might have been". I had always thought that a DC-7 and a Connie going around the pylons was the stuff of an adventure novel but it very nearly happened. Read more about it here (http://www.adastron.com/lockheed/constellation/racer.htm)

Cheers

treadigraph
17th Aug 2004, 11:55
Great link Fris B... Somebody also raced an A-26 at Reno in the 70s - I've seen a pic of it somewhere!

Rabbit Leader, you might also read Bob Hoover's autobiog which might provide a little inspiration!

PS - I hope you aren't envisaging Tom Cruise in the starring role! I know he owns a Mustang, but...

Fris B. Fairing
17th Aug 2004, 22:53
treadigraph

Yes indeed there have been several A-26s raced at Reno at various times. My fondest memory of Reno is the sight (and sound!) of a pair of P-38s duelling around the pylons.

RabbitLeader
There used to be a Professional Race Pilots Association but these days if you do a google search for PRPA & Reno you will find everything you could want to know about Attorney General Janet Reno and the Pain Relief Promotion Act!!

Cheers