PDA

View Full Version : HP42 & John Farley

Sir George Cayley
15th Aug 2004, 13:32
Did I dream it or was there an article recently suggesting Lord Farley of Dunsfold (aka Test Pilot extraordinaire John F) is planning to build a full flying HP42 powered by Jupiter engines?

Wil it be an E or a W?

Can I get a go?

Anybody know any more about this wonderful exciting project?
I've always felt the HP42 is the most deserving of candidates for a replica.

Sir George Cayley

treadigraph
15th Aug 2004, 13:57
You didn't dream it - or if you did, so did I! - there was something in Aeroplane a couple of months ago, though I don't recall John's name being associated with it. Mike Russell's might have been...

Now about that go, form an orderly queue please (and afore that I'd like a ride in the Connie!).

Treadders:ok:

John Farley
15th Aug 2004, 15:43
Sorry chaps nothing to do with me.

The only HP aircraft for which I have long term plans is the HP115 probly about eighth scale, R/C and powered by a ducted fan......

JF

Skylark4
15th Aug 2004, 18:38
It's all here:-
http://www.imperial-airways.com
They had a stall at GVFW and appeared to be deadly serious. These are the same people who produced the Vickers Vimy.

Mike W

Sir George Cayley
15th Aug 2004, 19:22
well nearly

Firstly apologies to the more famous John F of "take-off upwards then go fast" fame. The John Farley on the HP42 (Team Merlin) web site is Neil Farley's dad. Famous in their own way. Easy mistake for a bear with a brian full of wadding to make!

Web site is very good but little self publicatin which may be admirabe but doesn't underline the teams provenance.

Good Luck anyhow

Sir George Cayley

Dr Illitout
17th Aug 2004, 06:03
I think supply is going to be the problem hear!.
Is there enough, Aircraft standard spruce, Aircraft standard carpenters, Bristol Jupiters and finaly money in the world to do it?. Certifying the beast is going to be fun too!.
Rgds Dr I.

henry crun
17th Aug 2004, 21:30
Dr Illitout, re the spruce and carpenters.
I might be wrong but I have a strong memory of seeing a cutaway drawing of the aircraft, and IIRC it was all metal construction.

spitfire
17th Aug 2004, 23:27
Money isn't an issue as they have already raised the £11 million required.

Seloco
18th Aug 2004, 07:58
Oh dear, this is going to get confusing! I suspect that I am not the only TAP in the world who gets a totally automatic mental reaction everytime they see the words "John Farley"; it's a throbwobbingly wonderful image of a Harrier rising majestically from behind some trees, rotating effortlessly through ninety degrees and blasting away vertically into the blue yonder. Thanks John - nobody's done it better!

But now! Another image risks coming to mind of the extraordinary HP42 trundling across the Croydon grass and bouncing gently into the air in scratchy archive film. Can the Farley name really get one of these amazing aircraft back into the air too? Is £11m enough and have they really got it?

Dr Illitout
18th Aug 2004, 18:51
Mr Crun, I remember reading that one was "eaten" by termites in Uganda so I assumed....Never assume check, so I stand corrected!.
Next point how can this group get £11 million together and the Vulcan group can ONLY get £2.5 million?.

Rgds Dr.I.