PDA

View Full Version : Any new students out there?

takeonme
15th Aug 2004, 11:21
Hey guys,

Thinking about putting some sort of publication together that just runs through every single thing the student pilot needs to now. Things from an introduction to BAK through to choosing the right headset to outlining the differences in training aircraft.

Just wondering if theres any new students out there who feel something has been missed in their trainingor there was something that they still dont quite understand that could be included.

Let me know!

T.O.M

BigDaddyDave
16th Aug 2004, 05:12
Hi,

I am starting my training this coming weekend. Would be happy to provide any feedback I can and would like to see what other newbies have to say.

Dave

dude65
16th Aug 2004, 06:19
Doing my PPL at the moment.
I reckon a good place to start would be how to actually deal with and select a flight school. Some of them are pretty intimidating and some don't seem to give a s--t. I'm happy with where I'm training but I bet there's plenty of people who aren't. Maybe the tech stuff should be left to those who actually get paid to provide the info.

How about some ways to save $$$. Pre lesson planning and getting in the right frame of mind so your not waisting time & money

Sunfish
16th Aug 2004, 08:03
Yup done about eight hours and waiting for my student licence to arrive so that I can go solo. With the new ASIO checks the processing seems to take forever.

Anyone out last Saturday in Melbourne? I was trying to learn crosswind landings in 12 - 20 kt crosswind component, wind gusting 30 kts plus rain. Exciting.

eternity
22nd Aug 2004, 13:32
T.O.M,

That's a very good idea to begin a publication for new students.

Dude65 was on the ball in suggesting some info and tips on picking your flight school.
These days with increasing competition and expenditure, many flight schools will promise you the world. And for a young aviator or aviatrix who has almost zero experience in the industry, it is very easy to get pulled in my some of the marketing the flying schools push.

Unfortunately, for some, they may realise that their particular school isn't exactly what it is cracked up to be halfway through their GFPT, PPL or even CPL, and then it can be not only difficult but also very expensive to change.

It may also be a good idea to post some 'realistic' prices for training. Unfortunately many schools will give you the minimum cost involved, but what many don't realise is that unless your Tom Cruise Top Gun, you may not achieve those costs.

So costs are important. When going to a flying school, try and track down some students and ask them how much it cost. Do this a few time and this will give you an idea of the 'realistic' prices involved.

Good luck to all.

Joe.

Sunfish
22nd Aug 2004, 21:57
I'm training at RVAC at Moorrabin. Pay as you go, and great instructors and people. I'm just going for my PPL for the heck of it, not to make a career out of it.

BTW Readbackcorrect, your just a troll.

MARZ
23rd Aug 2004, 11:29
dude 65 and eternity are exactly right in my view. I have passed my GFPT and well on the way to PPL. If student's don't have a frame of reference when they are at their first flying school, they can think that the way they are being treated is 'normal'. However, it may be far from that.
If they book gave examples of 'what to look for' in a quality flying school, I feel this would be an invaluable resource for aspiring pilots.
Realistic ball-park figures on costs would also be very helpful.
sounds like a great idea. Best of luck with it
--marz

TLAW
25th Aug 2004, 10:59
Another tip - before purchasing any aviation equipment - e.g., headset, fuel tester, charts, etc., ask if you can purchase them through your flying school. They often get a discount and can pass it on to you.

I wish someone had told me that earlier.

bush mechanics
25th Aug 2004, 12:03
Sunfish,
Just wondering what you a/c's max crosswind speed is?
Readback,
Why are you practiseing 20 kt tailwind landings?

takeonme
25th Aug 2004, 13:13
Cheers lads, thanks for the input so far,

and for all you experienced guys out there feel free to leave a few tips that you learnt in your earlier days to give the new guys a good start.

over and out,

T.O.M

Sunfish
25th Aug 2004, 22:29
Bushy, its 15 kts max crosswind component. ATIS was reporting 12-20knot component at the time as I remember. Wind was gusting 25-35 kts from 270 and we were using 31R, that makes about 40 degree offset. So I guess you could say conditions were marginal.

Went out yesterday and had 20-30 kts 350 which was nice because we were using 35 R. Very very short landing runs in a 150 which toddles along at about 65 on final and lands somewhere around 50-60.

SkySista
28th Aug 2004, 05:28
Just a couple.....

A section on lifestyle/study 'tips' for students to help them juggle the study, flying, all the obvious stuff like sleep, stress management, diet etc - nothing too in-depth but something they can follow up if they want. I have come across an alarming rate of students who think it's okay to go out for a night on the booze with hardly any sleep then go out flying - hardly good airmanship, is it? (The occasional Pi*sup ok but not every freakin' weekend...!) What you can do to be in a better frame physically/mentally for flying

Things you need to think about before gong all the way with the training - e.g. 'hidden' costs that many of the schools don't tell you straight up, minimum ballpark costs for charts, books, equipment etc. (Did a ground theory course and wasn't told I would need the CARs and CAOs in print as well as ERSA, AIP, VFG etc - quite annoying when you haven't planned on the funds right away.....)

Agree - advice on schools would be excellent. Perhaps you could ask those in these forums who have been to certain schools what their opinion was - should give you an idea one way or the other which are the standouts....

I'll shutup now ;)

Sky

TeleMaPhone
28th Aug 2004, 11:25
I definately agree with 'SkySista' - tips on lifestyle would be very helpful. Things like what to look for in training companies, maybe even good questions to ask them apon interviews (such as 'will employment follow').
Hidden costs would also be great - and maybe even recommendations on things like what brand of headsets to buy etc...
Hope this is some help!
TeleMaPhone

JSM
28th Aug 2004, 11:31
Bushy, its 15 kts max crosswind component. ATIS was reporting 12-20knot component at the time as I remember. Wind was gusting 25-35 kts from 270 and we were using 31R, that makes about 40 degree offset. So I guess you could say conditions were marginal.

8 hrs under you belt and the instructor is sending you out in that???, not to mention busting the ACFT's max X/W....... pretty poor form in my opinion.:hmm:

pilotads
29th Aug 2004, 06:01
it sonds like it would be more benifical if you brought out a new magazine or travel type book which rates certain airfields and schools. I think there is already too many resource learning books to choose from but too little in the way of an airfield guide that show what certain aerodromes have to offer a visitor like distance from local town or RESTRUANT or even what are the operators are running out of which aerodromes.

just an idea

TLAW
30th Aug 2004, 23:32
Not sure if this is what you're after, but one thing I've found personally beneficial is keeping a detailed logbook or journal of training flights. After every flight lesson as soon as I get home I write down as much as I can remember about the flight - the usual logbook stuff, date, duration, aircraft rego, etc., but also the weather conditions and as much as I can recall about what I did during the flight, what I learnt, what I didn't understand, anything amusing or unusual.

Apart from the satisfaction of looking back and reliving the previous flights, I've also found it useful for analysing my progress, reminding me of lessons learnt, comparing different conditions and aircraft. It's surprising how much useful stuff comes out.

It's helped me enormously and could well be helpful for other students to maximise the value of their flight lessons.

Ultralights
31st Aug 2004, 11:55
8 hrs under you belt and the instructor is sending you out in that???, not to mention busting the ACFT's max X/W....... pretty poor form in my opinion.
I was thinking exactly the same thing! i didnt start crosswind training untill i had about 25 Hrs! and every lessen sice was in all wind conditions! but 8 hrs? hmmmmmmm.

and tailwind landings? when was this in the syllabus?

anyone bothered to check the RAA recreational aviation flying schhools? usually much cheaper, and a hell of a lot more friendly atmosphere i have almost completed my CPL in Ultralight registered aircraft! at $120 per hour! as long as the instructor is CASA rated it doesnt matter what aircraft you use! and usually UL registered aircraft handle a lot better than most GA trainers, even the humble Jabiru at 95 Kts feels like an airborne sports car compared to a warrior or C172. as they are easy to fly, but difficult to fly well.! hence giving you a better level of airmenship.

VRB03KT CAVOK
11th Sep 2004, 23:34
Some advice I wish someone had given me:

If you think there is even a slight chance you'll head North to try and get charter work then after your PPL get yourself a 206 or 210 endorsement. Get some of your 70 command hours in one of those and you'll be far more employable (maybe 20 hours total).

You really don't want to be spending even more money after you've got your CPL on another endorsement and some hours to get that job.

While you are also getting those command hours, there is something great about flying halfway across Australia, but holding your heading for 3 hours at 9500' isn't making the most of this time... Try doing flights that'll be similar to your CPL tests, get lots of landings in and find a few isolated homesteads on your map, far more benificial.

That's my 2 cents worth.

centurionII
14th Sep 2004, 23:06
I could use a bit of help with the above mentioned topic. Im struggling with effects of controls! :ouch:

Northern Chique
15th Sep 2004, 15:49
I did some research and I came up with the best package for me. Now that same package may not necessarily be suitable for everyone.

I started with small country school that taught flying for fun. They were close enough to the city areas to be educated there but not waste money waiting on the tarmac. There was no pressure (I had enough for me without anyone else joining in), I had 3 instructors maximum who all taught because they liked teaching. All three had life experience out in the charter, airline and aeromed world and enjoyed passing their experiences on. They also had a very active aero club and brand new plane so I was spoilt rotten really as the school planes were alway kept in spotless condition.

There was always someone around to talk over stuff with, and they didnt charge you for it. Poor economics?? nope. the school always had pleanty of throughput and excellent student to finished licence ratios. Most of the students stayed on as part of the aero club membership.

So a great support network was pretty important in my book. The aircraft maintenance wasnt important initially until I found out how bad some students got it in other locations and some of their aircraft were older than me and in poor shape.

I started off doing my PPL and initially thats all I had in mind. Then I went and did my commercial. IFR came next with another semi country school then renewals with Bill Whitworth... contacts through these places encouraged me to spread out a bit. So as you see priorities change. I had good exposure to a wide range of aircraft and I learned not to be bullied into something that was broken and was paid above award when I went to work. Says alot about the values you learn and you dont realise you are picking them up!

It was personal, friendly and pay as you go. No fixed contracts and if you didnt like one instructor, he wouldnt take offence, youd just happily go with the other...

I loved flying and still do.... all because I had good instructors, a great school environment and good advice when it came to using my CPL in anger... which reminds me... I must book in for those ATPL classes...

newflyer
24th Sep 2004, 14:57
I have just started my PPL in Florida. Could really do with some advice on headsets - am looking at Lightspeed 15XLC for a good value ANR at around $350 - it still seems like a lot of money but I suppose hearing is hard to fix if you are too tight on noise reduction!!! Difficult to get that commercial job if your hearing is screwed.

Went and bought the Sennheiser HME100-MG - can't complain (10 yr warranty, more comfortable than Dave Clarks and less expensive) Well recommended.