PDA

View Full Version : Irene King at it again! More pilot shortages

15th Aug 2004, 10:27
From the CAA Website

"AIA Pilot Recruitment and Flight Training Standards Forum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Following-on from a round table discussion held at the Aviation Industry Association’s recent conference, the Air Transport Division and the Flight Training Division Chairpersons have agreed to hold a further forum to discuss a number of specific issues affecting the airlines/air transport and flight training industries in New Zealand.

What are the problems?

There are several issues:

an aging work force

a strong and growing demand for pilots, based on healthy economic growth in our two key sectors of tourism/travel and agriculture

a student loan scheme that caps the number of fully funded pilots under training

increased competition in the school-leaver market from other industries perceived as more attractive

a perception that pre-selection procedures can be improved

a desire by many in the flight training industry to see a seamless transition into full-time gainful employment as a professional pilot

a requirement that all certificated Part 119 operators have an appropriately trained and resourced organisation, including experience levels commensurate with the organisation’s operating risk.

How do we intend to resolve these issues?

We have spent a few years discussing these issues. It is now time to become proactive and develop an integrated strategy that addresses each of the issues identified above systematically.

Broadly grouping the issues, we have:

Increasing the supply of pilots into the Industry, eg school leavers, foreign pilots, the 'cap'

Ab initio training – preselection standards and evaluation

Training standards, including regulatory changes, and the Industry raising the 'benchmark'

Progression into air transport and the airlines

Part 119 operators - what do they really need?

Each of these issues will be worked through, with the intention of identifying all the critical factors, and developing a business plan to resolve each of these issues in an integrated and systematic way.

Time/Venue

BP House, Ground Floor, cnr of Johnston St and Customhouse Quay (entry off Johnston St)

Wellington

9:00 am

25 August 2004

Break-out groups will be organised to discuss each of the issues and to report back. It may be necessary for a small caucus to stay overnight to further progress issues.

Who is invited to participate?

All with an interest in flight training, pilot recruitment, and the future of certificated Part 119 operations in New Zealand, the Civil Aviation Authority, officials, professional pilot organisations, and individuals with an interest in the future of aviation.

Irene King and Warren Sattler

Chairs of the Air Transport and Flight Training Divisions of AIA"

Groan,

I mean if you want more pilots why don't you try and lure back the HUGE number of qualified pilots who are NOT flying aircraft but pumping gas so they can pay back their 60 thousand dollar loans.... It's a little hard to pay a loan back when you are getting paid less than the unemployment benefit to do a job you just paid 60k to learn how to do...

I dare you to start rewarding professionals for the professional job that they do.

ROCKSTEADY
15th Aug 2004, 10:55
"How do we intend to resolve these issues?

We have spent a few years discussing these issues. It is now time to become proactive and develop an integrated strategy that addresses each of the issues identified above systematically."

A few years hey....hhmmmmm? Took me two seconds. More pay, better conditions and job security maybe.

No, thats not an option hey. How about we try to market it better, to make it look more attractive to the younger generation who have more dollars than sense.

Its really sad. Probably more than half the people you deal with at the airport are earning more than you if your working as a Regional or GA Pilot to say the least.

Cloud Cutter
15th Aug 2004, 21:03
I agree with the comment on pre-selection. This would reduce the huge drop-out rate. Looking at any group of fully funded students it doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess who's gonna make it, and who's gonna end up pumping petrol.

I don't really think there's a problem with pilots doing their time in GA as we know it today. Would you rather sit next to someone who was handed an airline job on a plate, or had to work their arse off to get there? It weeds out the lazy ones.

As for a pilot shortage, I think we are seeing the beginings of a shortage of experienced GA pilots, but that happens every time the airlines start hiring and will certainly not be helped by an increase in students being trained.

Boney
16th Aug 2004, 01:33
Never has been - never will be ..... a pilot shortage, what a load of crap.

I am surprised that over the years, no flying schools have faced legal action over this rort.

Sorry, 5 pilots for every job at the bottom of the ladder and 2 for every job at the top end does not equal shortage.

Someone I used to know (a lawyer) got flown from the east coast to Perth, given a fully paid 2 week holiday and induction to the company, flown back to the east, offered good money and a fortnight to decide if they wanted the job.

That's a shortage.

NOT

"geez ... the company I work for only gets 5 resumes a week these days, and some of the senior guys/girls are even getting the award"

Wow, flying school factories need to start the production line again - there is obviously a shortage.

Make a dog laugh!

dai chon doi
16th Aug 2004, 02:54
boney, couldn't agree with you more. i've been flying professionally since the 80's and the same old crap bubbles up every few years. it's just wet dreams from the same big flying school's

DeltaT
21st Aug 2004, 09:03
She works for Air NZ, give them a call and ask for her and have a wee natter in her ear !!!
There is a AIA conference in Wellington Aug 25 on all this, but its just a smoke screen for the Aeroclubs feeling the pinch from the reduced students/loan allowance.
Did you know that they actually have no valid statistics to back up their claims on a pilot shortage at present?!!!
They are taking stock though of the pilots writing in complaining about the newspaper articles and pointing out that they cannot get a job as a Pilot.