PDA

View Full Version : Yeah right

solowflyer
14th Aug 2004, 04:57
Don't know about the jag but he is CFI at Ardmore flying school.

It is a bit a coincidence that the AFS CFI is rattling on about the lack of training because of the SL fees capping. Full funding had only been available to the masses for the last 2 years. How can it be that since the fees had been capped less than 12 months ago there is all of a sudden a shortage of pilots, is this just a cry from the flying schools seeing their income reducing, I think so.

Maybe the government should look at screening who gets the funding even more than what they are doing now as I am sure most of you have seen plenty of drongos with little chance or desire to persue flying comming through the previous system. These people just make the rest of us who are really trying with no other means to look bad as a sponge on the tax payer.

When i started flying several years ago I got the exact same speach, with all these pilots reaching retirment age there is going to be a boom in hiring they said. Surly ANZ did not stop hiring all those years ago leaving a huge gap of old an young pilots(that would be really dumb on there part) but have been slowly hiring away with a steady flow over the years, somtimes fast sometimes slow but still steady.

If the shortage is so bad you will see ANZ, Eagle, Orrigin, Nelson, MT Cook following the rest of the world and training Cadets, now that will be a good indication of a Pilot shortage. It's funny but I don't recall seeing any adds anywhere for pilots in any news paper.

As far as attracting new people to aviation Self funding really sorts those who want to fly for a living and those that are there for the ride. If the will is strong enuff then they will find away to make it and become better people for it. The bulk of my flight training was self funded with a bit of SL funding. If I was to do it all again it would be self funded away from all the BS of a flight school and in an enviroment where flying is fun and not a fist full of cash.

Did you know that Australians are also elligable for NZ Student loan funding.

Cypher
14th Aug 2004, 06:22
Yep.. watched a few drongos come and go myself, and even managed to talk a few out of flying before they became a menace in our skies... not to mention our own Mr "I'll do what I want and no one can stop me sitting exams for other people"...

The ole CFI at AFS must be really worried about his retirement package if he's drumming this tired old song up again.