PDA

View Full Version : Converting JAA ATPL to Australian CASA

p.savage
12th Aug 2004, 04:02
OK. So, the story goes I quite fancy living in Australia within the next 10 years and I wonder about the complications in converting a JAA ATPL to a CASA ATPL Oz license.

I'm assuming that I would be required to sit all the Aus ATPL exams and do a test for multi engine, IR, CPL.

Doesn't sound like hard work and to be honest the thought of how much it will cost scares me more! So whats it likely to cost?

Cheers
Savage

swh
12th Aug 2004, 05:22
Savage,

No requirement to sit all the exams, just air law and instrument rating. You will need to complete a instrument rating flight test.

Next year with Part 61 introduced, you will also need to do an ATPL flight test.

If you do the conversion now, it will be easier. The requirements for testing officers for the ATPL flight test will be hard to achieve for many people, so I dont think there will be many about.

:ok:

Bird Strike
12th Aug 2004, 07:00
Before you spend the fortune, check to see if you qualify to emigrate to Australia or to obtain a work permit too, if you don't already have one, or haven't checked yet. :)

AIRWAY
13th Aug 2004, 10:20
Hello,

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you are emigrating to Australia has a Pilot ( if that’s your skill ) please be aware that the immigration department will be removing ( if it hasn’t already ) the Aircraft Pilot ( worth 60 points ) from the skills list.

Regards,
Airway

redsnail
13th Aug 2004, 21:42
p.savage,
I can't comment about the cost of the exams, you'll have to look up the CASA website for that one.
As a rough guide, what you'd pay in pounds, you'll pay in dollars. eg, twin - 300 quid, it'll cost $A300/hr. You'll need a few hours to get up to speed on the Oz IR. A lot of the lead in work can be done on a synthetic trainer. That's about $100/hr or so. Could even be cheaper.
I would budget $A5,000. You should have plenty of change.

Just spied a typo that I didn't see when I was under the influence of Chardonnay. :D

p.savage
14th Aug 2004, 01:16
Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you are emigrating to Australia has a Pilot ( if that’s your skill ) please be aware that the immigration department will be removing ( if it hasn’t already ) the Aircraft Pilot ( worth 60 points ) from the skills list.

Why? Are we not a skilled profession in Australia? I think airline pilots as a whole are pretty skilled!

Bird Strike, I have looked into weither I am suitable for skilled emigration and I seem to be right on the 120 points required. (BTW, the aircraft pilot, 60 points is still there).

redsnail, thanks for your help. I thought it would cost more than that. At the moment, this is just a long term thought. Some things to be considered first, obviously. I have never even been to Oz, so a visit might be helpful first!

Thanks again
Savage

AIRWAY
14th Aug 2004, 08:28
Well if there's too many skilled pilots, obviously they will take it off the list, thats the point of the immigration programme, but since in your original post you stated in the next 10 years you might be lucky a couple of years down the line, if they put it back on.

By the way have a look:

NOTE: In Australia there are currently more than 14,000 Commercial and ATPL pilots who are not employed as pilots. The Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA) is reviewing the requirement for the continued immigration of Pilots under the Skills Assessment for the Purposes of Migration (Aircraft Pilot, ASCO code 2541-11).
It is anticipated that in the near future, Aircraft Pilots will be removed from the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) which applies to applications lodged under the points-tested migration arrangements.
Due to the time and financial costs involved in converting an overseas licence to the Australian equivalent for migration skills assessment purposes, potential applicants should take these factors into consideration before deciding whether to convert their licence when this avenue may not be available.

www.casa.gov.au

So if you want to go you better start moving quickly before you miss the Oz Express.

Capt Fathom
14th Aug 2004, 11:20
No requirement to sit all the exams, just air law and instrument rating. You will need to complete a instrument rating flight test.
That's true, but it's been mentioned previously that the airlines will not employ you on the basis of a converted ATPL. They want you to do all the Aussie exams. That's assuming this information is correct and you are planning on employment with an airline here at some stage.

NZLeardriver
14th Aug 2004, 12:43
Does anyone know when they are changing the requirements for the conversion and requiring an ATPL checkride?

swh
15th Aug 2004, 00:12
NZLeardriver,

Next March from my understanding with the introduction of Part 61.

The requirments for testing officers I thought was hard to achive, hence my comment I think it will be had for people to get the test done outside an airline.

The testing officer requirements were something like 3000 hrs multi-crew, of which 1500 had to be in command, instructor rating, Cert IV in workplace training and assessment, and examiners approval. Test has to be conducted on a multi-crew aircraft.

Capt Fathom

Regionals do and have employed people on tha basis of conversions (Airnorth, Skippers, Eastern, Sunstate, :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:, Sunshine, Rex etc), the big two jet operators dont (VB & QF), but the others do (NatJet, Impulse/Jetstar, Skywest, Alliance), thats my understanding anyway.