PDA

View Full Version : Cost of an engine "Bulk Strip"

ginjockey
12th Aug 2004, 03:22
This is one for a LAME or experienced mechanic to answer. Can anyone tell me what exactly happens in the "bulk strip" process of engine overhaul or repair. Most aircraft that have suffered seemingly minor engine damage in landings or other incidents are required to undergo a bulk strip. What is that exactly and why does it seem to always cost tens of thousands of dollars? Are all parts replaced regardless of damage?

What's the story with the old bulk strip?

cheers

Gin.

Jamair
12th Aug 2004, 07:22
Ain't a LAME but from recent personal experience:

If a bulk strip is required due to age or prop strike (as common examples), all the 'soft' seals and gaskets are required to be replaced - there's about a $K already. The labour to do the job in time alone will usually run to $3-$5 K. Anything found to be outside the manufacturers specifications needs to be replaced in the rebuild - can be MANY $Ks there. Removing and refitting the engine can run $3-$5 K as well.

If the engine is within 500hrs of OH, it is seldom worthwhile bulk stripping; just OH and start the clock again.

Only my opinion; I'm sure there's plenty of 'cheap' bulks been done.

piontyendforward
13th Aug 2004, 02:02
TCM engine are mandated to require a bulk strip for a propstrike. The have a SB for propstrikes on their web site.

Their definition is anything that requires the prop to be removed for repair (even if the engine was not running at the time), or a sudden stopage of the engine requires the 'bulk strip' of the engine.

Costs, approx 1 to 2K for engine removal and installation for a simple engine, double for complex.

3 to 5K for engine teardown and cleaning, and rebuild.

1k for inspection and checking

1.5K for bearings and replacement parts

The last one I was involved in was 8.5K without the cost of the prop.