PDA

View Full Version : Changing Careers

joevar1005
12th Aug 2004, 02:34
I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I have always had a fascination and desire for flying planes. I was flying solo before I could legally drive a car, but a single engine pilot’s license was the highest rating I ever achieved before going to college and then getting a job in the computer industry. I heard about a program called CAPT (Commercial Airline Pilot Training) offered at Embry- Riddle. It’s a 12 – 13 month program designed for individuals with an existing 4 year college degree. At the end of the program the individual will have logged about 500 hours and be certified in an MD-80.

My question is what do you think the chances of getting a job with a major airline or a corporate jet service for that matter are after graduation. I am currently 43 and can afford to go back to school and take a big decrease in salary but I would need to get a job, hopefully in New York soon after graduation. My concern is that there are a lot of younger people with potentially much more experience out there looking for that same job.

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.