PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorships

GeorgeJ
11th Aug 2004, 17:29
Hi, my name is George, I am from Canada.

I am new to this forum

I have been interested in a commercial pilot career for a while now. My original plan was to get my licences through flying schools and start out at smaller airlines and work my way up. Since I've heard about this Airline Sponsorships I have become really interested in them. I know there is no such thing in US or Canada but there is in Europe, in Asia and Middle East. Can someone tell me more about these airline sponsorships and how hard are they to get into, especially when I am from a different continent and especially after 9/11. I am currently 17 and I am going into grade 12 and my grades are pretty good. Besides English, I already am fluent in Serbian and know some limited French.

Any tips, info or whatever would be appreciate, thanks.

ashleyeagles
13th Aug 2004, 14:29
Hi,

There are a few sponsorship schemes running in Europe at present. I beleive Lufthansa in Germany and Air France are the best two examples. Here in the UK we have the CTC McAlpine Flying Sponsorship scheme, but as with all (I think) opportunities within Europe, im sorry to say that they are only open to people with the entitlement to live and work within the European Union.

In a similar way, if I wanted to apply to a scheme in Canada I would not be elligable.

Middles east airlines only accept applicants from that region I beleive. I beleive it's the same for asia, cathay are based in hong kong, and being that hong kong is now governed by China and not the UK, it is no longer possible to apply for that.

After the recent events as you know there has been a downturn in the industry worlwide, however it is picking up slowly but surely.

Im 21 and have just finished my degree, it's always been my ambition to fly, but getting into the industry is prooving to be one of the most difficult things i've ever done, I can only offer one bit of advice for this situation, perseverance will pay off, don't give up!

one further suggestion, i don't know if you dual nationality status with any countries in Europe, but if you don't any you really want to apply - marry some one from europe - worth a try! lol

Best of luck with year 12!

GeorgeJ
14th Aug 2004, 14:38
My friend who lives here in Canada too, applied for Lifthansa and actually got accepted but for some reason he's not able to go now and is staying here.

Anyways, thanks for the advice, as it looks like I may have to go through flying schools and such and work my way up. I will try to get into these sponsorships anyway I can because I am short on money but hey...

yyzdub
19th Aug 2004, 17:34
The honest truth, as mentioned, if you don't hold a dual citizenship for a European country you can rule out the sponsorship route. Further, these routes are so demanding and particular, you really must have or be something that shines far above the others. Secondly, the Asian routes are nearly 100% geared towards Asian who speak the local language.

With the limited options in Canada your only route is do your flying with a FTO and work your way up. If you're worried about the cash, do the PPL on a part time basis and see if flying is really something you want to do then if it is, you can work part time and do your flight training when you're free.

Have a look at a few other postings about the routes you can take once you get your commercial license in Canada. Sadly though, you'll find that most opportunities are working on the dock for a year or two and then getting into a flying position... it's a long long road in Canada but best of luck - it does pay off!

yyzdub

ketchup
21st Aug 2004, 17:31
Try http://www.ctc-mcalpine.com They offer a well thought out scheme with regards to finance arrangement.