PDA

View Full Version : Failing at sponsorship selections

philltowns
11th Aug 2004, 08:22
Hi all,

Recently made it through to the final stage of Atlantic's sponsorship selection - had gone through CV and covering letter, application form, aptitude tests, first interview, sim assesment, flight assesment, and second (much more intense) one hour interview, getting down to the last three applicants.

I found out a couple of days ago that I didnt make it in. It'll be a few weeks before I get any feedback, and they said at the last interview that they weren't looking for a specific number of cadets - if all three of us were good enough, they'd take us all on. As you can imagine (and it seems several of you have been in the same position), I'm pretty gutted at getting that far to fall at the last hurdle, so any suggestions on how to turn this into something positive, coz' I'm really struggling?

Cheers

PT

Penworth
11th Aug 2004, 09:22
Philltowns

Its always galling to get to the final stage of a sponsorship and be within touching distance of having your training paid for only to have it snatched away at the last minute.

Believe me, I've been there, was at the final stage of 4 different schemes (including Atlantic) but didn't quite make the grade each time. All you can really do is tell yourself that you did well to make it that far and if you were almost selected for a sponsorship then there's a good chance that you'll be a successful pilot one day, even if that means going the self-sponsored route.

The other thing I do is think of the people who have been even unluckier than myself, like a guy I know who turned down a BMI sponsorship offer because BA had accepted him onto their cadet scheme, only for sept 11th to happen. Two years later though he was back applying for the CTC scheme. Rather than give up he had picked himself up from the huge disappointment he felt and was back, prepared to give it his all again.

The best thing to do is get your chin up and start planning for the future, whether that be applying for other sponsorships or planning how to self-fund your training.

Hope your feedback from Atlantic gives you some encouragement.

PW

Kempus
11th Aug 2004, 13:13
hi,

Like yourself i've made it to the last post with a few airlines including BA back in the glory days but that seems to be my stumbling point.

Not sure what it is with final interviews but i aint got a good track record when it comes to pilot sponsorship. However i do keep trying as each airline have told me i have got what it takes to be a good comercial pilot but at this time, not right for our company. Each time i ask myself what makes me right?

Well i'm gonna keep trying, show a bit of comitment and go for my PPL this year although i'm worried that it may lock me out of some sponsorships like the Britannia one which i went for this year.

Keep trying, chin up, you aint alone!

kempus :D

Eff Oh
12th Aug 2004, 12:00
Philltowns

Well I failed BMI's sposorship selection (It was British Midland in those days) and assuming they thought I didn't have the aptitude to fly for them, I self funded my own training. After gaining my shiny new CPL/IR Frozen ATPL I got my first job with......you guessed it, BMI! Funny how attitudes change when you have the licence. :D

You must consider your efforts to be a fantastic achievement. Very few get that far, think of the numbers who didn't. This doen't mean you won't be a pilot, far from it. You have shown that you do have the correct attributes and should be encouraged by this. Aviation is a funny business, you will be amazed how these things can tun to your advantage. Perhaps someone will not be able to start on the course and you will get a call etc etc etc. However keep going don't ever let it get you down. If you truely want it that badly you will get there! I know that times can seem gloomy at the moment, but that will pass as your enthusiasim and burning desire comes back. So once again, WELL DONE and keep on trying!!! :ok: :ok:

Eff Oh

Wick Static
14th Aug 2004, 12:25
Don't worry about it! I failed many attempts with many airlines for sponsorship and did not get as far as you for that matter! You have done very well to get that far and it certainly says a lot about somebody!

Don't give up. It will happen if you want it badly enough, whichever route you have to go down - Sponsored or self sponsored?

To give you my example, I ended up going down the self sponsored modular route having had many rejections from the airlines. However I am now flying B737's for a big airline!

Good luck