PDA

View Full Version : ME rating

pipergirl
9th Aug 2004, 13:26
can u do ur multi engine rating on a PPL or do you have to have ur CPL?

I know there is some sort of restriction with this, but can't remember what it is...

sawotanao
9th Aug 2004, 13:29
You can put a multi engine class rating on a ppl, i think u need 70 hrs ( not sure if thats TT or PIC)

IRRenewal
9th Aug 2004, 13:36
You need 70 hours P.1 before you can apply for the rating. You can start the training earlier.

Gerard

pipergirl
9th Aug 2004, 14:01
I was just talking to someone here who said that if u do a ME rating on a PPL, u will have a PPL with a ME rating, and if you wanted a ME rating with the CPL in mind...u will basically have to do it all again for the CPL....:}

basically, i want to try and get a bit of flying towards my CPL ME/IR done now....
My reason for this is, I want to be ready for the first part of next year to apply for a particular job...and i want to see if there's anyway of getting some of it done now twould be great....
i'm half way through my atpl exams and i don't think there's anything i could do to get a bit ahead at this stage...

IRRenewal
9th Aug 2004, 15:53
I was just talking to someone here who said that if u do a ME rating on a PPL, u will have a PPL with a ME rating, and if you wanted a ME rating with the CPL in mind...u will basically have to do it all again for the CPL.... Not true under JAR. Any rating on your PPL carries over to your CPL if it is valid at the time you apply for the CPL.

For instance, you could do the CPL/ATPL ground exams, then do the MEP, then do the IR. You know have a PPL with ME IR. If you then do the CPL course they reduce the hours by quite a bit since you don't have to do the IF part of the CPL course anymore.

Gerard

Fancy Navigator
10th Aug 2004, 00:02
Hi...
does this mean you can do a MEP rating on your PPL, and then do a CPL on a single, take the test on a single, and eventually have a CPL with a SEP and MEP rating (without taking your CPL test in a ME aircraft)? Just wondering....?
Cheers,
FN:)

IRRenewal
10th Aug 2004, 01:16
Short answer: Yes.

Gerard

pipergirl
10th Aug 2004, 07:51
would that not then save u a few quid in the long term...?

would u be hindered in anyway doing it like this?
would it look strange?

when doing ur CPL skills test do u have to do the test on a complex a/c or cud u truddle on up in a C150 (in theory).....

IRRenewal....anywhere i can check this all out....???
Where abouts in the LASORS can I find it? (sorry, am a bit lazy today:} )

actually, further to my first question....
is there any restirction on doing this on a PPL...for instnace, do u have to have the ATPL/CPL ground exams done before you can do an IR or MEP??

i\'m almost sure there\'s something restricting you....

Penworth
10th Aug 2004, 08:11
Pipergirl, I don't really see how doing your ME rating in advance of your CPL is going to save you much money. If you do them separately, then its a 6 hour ME course and test, followed by a 25 hour CPL course, 5 hours of which (+ the test) needs to be in a complex aircraft. By combining the two courses, its just a 28 hour course and one test, 8 hours of which are on a ME aircraft. Plus you don't have to do PFL's on the test if done in a ME aircraft :D

On the other hand, if you're already close to the 100 hours P1 you need for CPL issue, but still have some way to go to the 200 hours TT time you need, then maybe something like a ME rating would be a good idea, purely because its exposing you a little earlier to complex and multi engine flying.

Hope this helps

PW

Justiciar
10th Aug 2004, 09:07
There seems to be an assumption that there is such a thing as a multi CPL. There isn't. Some people choose to do a combined CPL and MEP course (28 hours) and do the CPL test on a twin, which means you don't do PFLs but do do asymmetric work instead. At the end you still have just a CPL whether it is done on a single or twin. The only requirement is for a number of hours on a complex single and to take the test on a complex, so you cannot do the CPL on a C150. It is worth checking the various schools to see how much time is actually spent on a complex aircraft. Some only provide for the minimum, which I think is 5 hours, whereas others do almost all the flying on a complex. Some schools only offer the CPL on a basic single and a twin, and try and sell it as a better route. The reality is that they probably can't afford to run a twin and a complex single!

The IR on the other hand is either a single engine rating or twin rating depending on what you do the test on.

The twin rating on its own is 6 hours and one exam and can be added to a PPL. I am about to go this route.

sawotanao
10th Aug 2004, 10:29
Slightly off track but, As the holder of a SE/CPL/Night 250hrs, is there anyway to combine the Multi rating+test with the Multi IR training,170 or skills test in the 50hr course. Or do you have to do the Multi 6hrs +skills test quite separate?
Many thanks in advance.

Tinstaafl
10th Aug 2004, 15:48
You can certainly combine the training but not the testing. You would have to do the multi test prior to doing the IR test.

Whether you'll save any $$$ is open to debate. I tend to think 'probably'. It depends on how well you can absorb the IR workload as well as the initial multi workload.