PDA

View Full Version : canadian CPL/Hourbuilding FAST

divorcingjack
7th Aug 2004, 16:18
Hi there,

I am considering hourbuilding to obtain a canadian CPL and possibly IR starting around september (well, as soon as I get my licence from the CAA!). I have heard that the flying in canada is awesome and much better regarded than US flying - my problem is that I don't know where to go. I am torn between Harvsair near winnepeg and heading to a school in vancouver. My problem is that I only have a maximum of about 3 months to be out there, and I currently only have 65 hours - is it going to be difficult to get the amount of flying done that I need to ? I am also worried about the weather - where would be more reliable for VFR flying ?

Any advice/suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated ! Thanks everyone

divorcingjack

roverlad
7th Aug 2004, 18:29
September in Vancouver is generally still a very good time to fly here. October is okay and November is when it starts to become sketchy. Plus Vancouver I am sure (no offence to Winnipeg) has alot more to offer in your spare time.
The industry is just beginning to go on the upswing so it is a good time to try to get over there. Expect to work the dock as it is rare to land a job flying right out of flight school. Unless you know people who can slide you right into a flying job.

Take it easy...

roverlad

Mostly Harmless
8th Aug 2004, 17:00
The weather in Winnipeg will always be a better shot than in Vancouver. But, there are no mountains anywhere near Winnipeg. The flying is much more scenic on the west coast.

All of that aside, it’s likely you will find the prices higher in Vancouver. So, if money is a consideration, Winnipeg is likely the way to go, if you want interesting flying, Vancouver. Best of luck

Midnight Sun
9th Aug 2004, 01:11
hi,

i started out in bc, finished my private in august, started to build time in bc but ended up at harvs after getting tired of the missed days due to weather,

Harvs is hands down the best place in Canada to get done fast. With harvs you can live on the airport, they are GOOD people, good service, the planes are in excellent shape and in my opinion the best fleet in canada. Harvs is also the only school i went to where i didnt feel i was being ripped off, another thing that will save you money is that the training area is very clost to harvs airport, in bc you are looking at .3-.4 of an hour to get to a training area.

I did my private and part of my cpl in vancouver and weather is a big factor out there, you can be delayed big time if you have to do your 300nm cross country and you get a spell of bad weather, where do you go? there are mountains in every direction! another thing about bc, rent is $$$ transport is $$$, living costs are $$$. you WILL need a car in vancouver, if you plan to do your cpl at boundry bay(the closest training airport to vancouver) as the bus schedual sux to zbb. BC means BRING CASH.

hope this helps, if you need more info pm or email me.

justcurious
9th Aug 2004, 14:06
I'm with midnight on this one.
I've never flown at Harv's, but hired three of their grads over the years. They were all fairly easy on the machine, and on my nerves.

Southern Manitoba & Saskatchewan, and adjoining NW Ontario generally make billiard tables look mountainous, so you can see weather rolling in hours in advance.

As well as gving you a wide area in which to train, Manitoba gives you a wide area in which to fly around scouting out potential employers.

A helpful note however... Arrving at Harvair's door in the middle of July would see you fighting for aircraft with the dozen or so air cadets that arrive for the summer. April through June would be easier on your nerves.

grundog
10th Aug 2004, 18:59
Lets put a little bit of perspective on this!!!
BC is slightly larger than 'Vancouver'!!!!!
For instance Fort St. John is on the Eastern side of BC and yes I can see the mountains on the horizon to the West but if you head East it is flat flat flat.
So if someone wants the opportunity to try the mountains but also wants easy flat terrain then there are plenty of places to do so in BC.
The weather here in Fort St. John is also very good. Yes it will get cold in Jan and Feb but so does Winnipeg!!!

As a Brit who moved here 2 years ago and has now set up a school I have a good handle on all matters 'UK to Canada' including licenses and immigration.

If anyone wants more details just PM me.

DivorcingJack...PM waiting for you ref. hour building.

Cheers

goates
11th Aug 2004, 15:57
If you want good weather, a great city and generally cheaper prices all round, then you might want to take a look at Calgary. We've got mountains to the west and Prairies in every other direction. For your 300nm you can pretty much fly in a straight line if you want. You could even fly to the states if you want some cross border experience.

Calgary is also one of the sunniest cities in Canada. Even during the winter it will be very clear out. Temperatures in the fall are around the mid to upper teens (celsius), sometimes a little warmer. Even if it does plunge to -20 in the winter, you just have to wait a day or two for a Chinook wind to warm everything back up again. While not as large as Vancouver, we still have plenty to do in your off time. Being in Alberta, you don't have to pay PST on anything either and gas is definitely cheaper than Fort St. John (my girlfriend was just up there visiting family).

Have a look at the Calgary Flying Club (http://www.calgaryflyingclub.com/).

Good luck where ever you decide to go.

goates

lead zeppelin
11th Aug 2004, 23:32
Although Winnipeg is flat, an x-country flight to Thunder Bay and then along the north shore of Lake Superior offers fantastic scenery and many small airports to visit - worthy of consideration.

IndiaAlphaLima
17th Aug 2004, 16:34
I'm at harv's at the moment. The air is clean, the scenery is good and availability is excellnt. I've been able to fly everyday without fail and personally I think that the school is friendly, professional and well run. nothing is too much trouble and I feel totally at home! Do it, Do it!

Hope this sways you, if not message me and i'll fill you in on everything

IndiaAlphaLima :D