PDA

View Full Version : Improving Mental Arithmetic book?

Blinkz
5th Aug 2004, 13:39
Hey guys,
I'm ok with maths, have just finshed a computer science degree which involve alot of maths and whilst I have a calculator sitting next to me I'm fine. However my mental arithmetic is really quite poor, I don't know all of my multiplication tables and am generally not good at it! Can anyone recommend methods to improve it? anyone know of a good book to use? There are so many to choose from! Thanks.

Blinkz

VFE
5th Aug 2004, 15:34
Dunno about any books for that kinda thing but if you're concerned about your level of arithmatic skills for commercial pilot training then I wouldn't worry too much. Most you need is the ability to work out reciprocals and perhaps rough speed/distance/time calculations and that about covers it. The rest can be done with slide rules and instruments.

VFE.

Blinkz
6th Aug 2004, 08:58
Thanks VFE, thats certainly reassuring! I don't think I'll ever be amazing at mental maths but I would still like to try and improve it so any advice on this would be great.

Sprawler
6th Aug 2004, 10:44
Get your hands on:
"Rapid Math Tricks and Tips"
30 Days to Number Power by Edward H Julius.

You should be able to get it on Amazon. Its excellent. Covers little quick tips and tricks for adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing as well as lots of practice problems. Also, the best way to get up to speed is to force yourself to use mental arithmetic whenever possible. Hide your calculator.

Best of luck

2close
6th Aug 2004, 11:33
Believe me Blinkz, this is nowhere near as daft as it is going to sound.

Play lots of darts and do all the scoring.

Your mental multiplication, adding and subtraction skills will improve no end.

Plus you get to spend lots of time in the pub under the guise of studying.

Best Regards,

2close