PDA

View Full Version : Track and heading at 90 pitch up or down

Synthetic
2nd Aug 2004, 22:09
Please would someone put me out of my misery and explain how track and heading are defined at 90 deg pitch up or down. I suspect track becomes wind direction (if it is defined at all), and I seem to remember that there is a rather arbitrary way of defining heading, which I was told in my tech training, but for the life of me I can't remember it. (it was only twenty five years ago:uhoh:). For some reason it came into my mind a couple of nights ago, and I have been tearing my hair out ever since.

TIA

Synth

Notso Fantastic
2nd Aug 2004, 22:56
Heading is simply the direction of the fuselage. At 90 degrees pitch, it becomes academic as the compasses will tell you when they start spinning in confusion. Track is simply defined as the direction the aeroplane is moving in on the ground, so I would expect 90 degrees up to then mean track was wind direction. Academic.....not real life........

Final 3 Greens
3rd Aug 2004, 08:58
Unless you drive a rocket :}

Dan Winterland
3rd Aug 2004, 21:05
Exactly, unless you're flying an F15, the last thing on your mind if you are pointing straight up or down is "I wonder what heading I'm on".

However, I was in the radar pattern at Waddington many years ago, the approach controller asked a Lightning pilot what his climbout heading was after he'd just flown a PAR to overshoot. The cool and laconic reply was,

"No heading, I'm in the vertical".

Why? Because he could! :ok:

Synthetic
3rd Aug 2004, 22:40
Thanks for the replies folks. Problem is that I was thinking of the context of driving a simulator instrument and the software wouldn't understand "academic". Track I can handle because that's frequently undefined (stationary on the ground for example), but I am sure I was taught there was an arbitary way of defining heading in these circumstances - vague memories of something as simple as "where the pilot's legs are pointing". Of the top of my head would it be relevant if a pilot was flying an aerobatic display and needed to know at what point to stop a vertical rolling manoeuvre so that when they leveled out they would be on the correct heading?:confused:

Teddy Robinson
7th Aug 2004, 12:26
Synthetic, surely in the context of pitch attitudes +/-89.99 degrees the heading remains where the pilots legs are pointing, and 90.01 degrees pitch becomes 89.99 on the reciprocal heading .. or am I missing something ? :suspect:

Synthetic
7th Aug 2004, 23:07
Oooh er - my brain hurts. I think that is what I was taught.